Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » MaxTextureLayers
icon1.gif  MaxTextureLayers [message #52253] Mon, 22 June 2009 12:02 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
*** Moderator's Note ***
This is for intermediate modding reference and is not recommended for new modders.
Any broad/vague/stupid questions will get deleted on sight. - JohnDoe

This is in regards to the MaxTextureLayers value in the Materials tab of the mesh entries in the graphics.big. I've figured this damned thing out finally.

It is bitwise, 1|2|4|8|n (like the body slots bit in the CAppearanceModifierDef), each with a specific meaning. Adding them gives the desired result.

1 - Standard.
2 - Bump map.
4 - Spec map.
8 - Alpha map.

So, this means:

1 - Standard (all will have this one).
3 - Standard + Bump map.
5 - Standard + Spec map.
7 - Standard + Bump map + Spec map.
9 - Standard + Alpha map.

Examples:
1 - MESH_BEGGAR_HAT_01
3 - MESH_THUNDER_SHIELD
5 - MESH_SISTERS_ARTEFACT
7 - MESH_TROPHY_PUNCH_CLUB_01
9 - MESH_GHOST_SWORD_01

This leads me to believe that:
11 - Standard + Bump map + Alpha map
13 - Standard + Spec map + Alpha map
15 - Standard + Bump map + Spec map + Alpha map

Let me clear up what the rest of this stuff means.

Material Name - - - - - [Name of the submesh]
Material ID - - - - - - [Numeric ID of the submesh]
Base Texture ID - - - - [textures.big numeric ID for base texture]
Bump Map ID - - - - - - [textures.big numeric ID for bump texture; 0 = none]
Specular Map ID - - - - [textures.big numeric ID for reflective texture; 0 = none]
Max Texture Layers- - - [Bitwise code explained above]
Material Alpha Enabled- [Boolean; 0 = Solid, 1 = Transparent/Translucent texture is used]
Glow Strength - - - - - [Self-illumination; 0 = none]
Unknown1- - - - - - - - [textures.big numeric ID for alpha mask texture; 0 = none]
Cloth Enable- - - - - - [Boolean; 0 = Non-dynamic mesh, 1 = dynamic mesh is used]
Unknown3- - - - - - - - [Unknown boolean; something to do with dynamic interactions]
Unknown4- - - - - - - - [Boolean; 0 = Standard, 1 = DegenerateTriangle]

Stuff that still needs explaining:

Custom bump maps.

Specular maps are what the mesh will reflect in-game. Most use black with a few white lines, and in-game it just shows those white lines. There are others though, like the fresco dome crystal, that has a panoramic shot of the fresco dome, so it reflects that.

Material Alpha Enabled - Simple stuff. If the submesh is using any level of transparency (alpha), this value needs to be set to 1 or it will not read the alpha channel. Also note that the texture itself needs to be DXT3/Alpha:1 or it won't work anyway.

Glow Strength - The bigger the number, the brighter it gets.

Unknown1/Alpha mask/map - This acts as a mask layer over the base texture, setting alpha levels. Look at the ghost sword for an example.

Cloth Enable/Unknown3/Unknown4 - Anything you import into the graphics.big is going to have all of these set to 0. Period.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2009 23:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MaxTextureLayers [message #52255 is a reply to message #52253] Mon, 22 June 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Nice John. Guess this should be stickied and added to the wiki (or at least that).

On the topic itself; the name MaxTextureLayers isn't correct, so it seems. Can't think of a correct name right now though.
Also, as we discussed some time back; it seems that some graphic cards have trouble with spec maps (at least mine does).

Did you come across anything higher then 9, or is it pure speculation?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: MaxTextureLayers [message #52260 is a reply to message #52255] Mon, 22 June 2009 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
OldBoy wrote on Mon, 22 June 2009 16:12

Nice John. Guess this should be stickied and added to the wiki (or at least that).
I'll settle for in your thread next to other things about model information. Wink

On the topic itself; the name MaxTextureLayers isn't correct, so it seems. Can't think of a correct name right now though.
Also, as we discussed some time back; it seems that some graphic cards have trouble with spec maps (at least mine does).
I can't think of a good name for it either. But it can't be fixed with an xml edit like Marcopolo thought, so this will kind of give people a better idea about it.

Did you come across anything higher then 9, or is it pure speculation?
It's just speculation, but it's "educated" speculation, would make perfect sense if that's the way it worked. Then again... it is LionHead... I should correct my first post, I said bitwise because I remember Kesh saying something of the sort, but I didn't write this information correctly.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2009 22:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MaxTextureLayers [message #52261 is a reply to message #52260] Mon, 22 June 2009 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

I'll put it in my 'personal' wiki Wink

Wish I had some time to look into all this, and do some testing. But I don't...

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: MaxTextureLayers [message #52263 is a reply to message #52261] Tue, 23 June 2009 05:40 Go to previous message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

I may in fact have some time to do a little testing later on today. I'll tell you the results

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Previous Topic: ¿Black Robe?
Next Topic: Longbow Bone Structure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:11:24 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01609 seconds