Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Modeling: .x - .3ds
Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52474] Sat, 04 July 2009 02:53 Go to next message
Lelegy is currently offline  Lelegy
Hi, I'm trying to do some modelling but can't work with the directx file format. Is there away to convert it to .3ds, and back when I'm finished with it? I've tried searching but havn't found anything.

Thanks Smile
Re: Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52475 is a reply to message #52474] Sat, 04 July 2009 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Plugins plugins plugins.
Get the mofo import/export plugin. That's all you need for static meshes, get the one for your version and just toss it in your 3DS plugins directory.

If you want to do animated meshes as well (clothing, hair, windmills, creatures, whatever) then you'll need the Pandasoft export plugin as well. And remember to get those export settings right. Wink
Re: Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52476 is a reply to message #52474] Sat, 04 July 2009 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks John. Now once I've edited a model, how do I go about applying part of a texture file to that particular part of the model? Like in a sword texture, what tells it to place the hilt in the texture file onto the hilt in the model file?

I'm guessing you know what I mean already, but for example: I had a spike to a handle and I want it purple (lol, I don't), if I add a purple are to the texture, how do I tell to model to use the purple patch for that part of the model?

Thanks for the quick response (Y)
Re: Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52477 is a reply to message #52476] Sat, 04 July 2009 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Texture mapping. There are tons of 3DS tutorials for this topic, this was the first one I saw on Google, but you'll want to search around for more in-depth tutorials and guides. Most of my meshes are derived from standard/extended primitives or original models, so my texture mapping is as easy as minor adjustments.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 July 2009 04:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52478 is a reply to message #52474] Sat, 04 July 2009 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Texture mapping, that will do. All I really needed was something to whack into google Razz Thanks.
Re: Modeling: .x - .3ds [message #52479 is a reply to message #52474] Sat, 04 July 2009 04:54 Go to previous message
By the looks of things it would be easier if I edited a model to make a whole new texture for it, such as Skorm's bow with the seperate Orb texture. Am I right in thinking this?

[Updated on: Sat, 04 July 2009 04:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Earings?
Next Topic: Ring Hammer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:09:31 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01184 seconds