Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Level Scripting » Filler Maps/Map Editing
Filler Maps/Map Editing [message #52868] Sun, 19 July 2009 16:28 Go to next message
Cyro is currently offline  Cyro
Question, and pardon my nubiness (first timer).

If you copy a level map, rename it, is it possible to make it recognized by the game? Or is that another problem with the STB file? (I've been looking at these forums for a while, started in March then came back a couple of days ago, trying to make my own weapons/armour-failed, but I have some models on blender. Sorry for offtopic)

Probably can't duplicate it anyways. So another question- I have freeroam app, and can go as far as the boundary that the minimap shows- I see a land beyond, are they some filler maps? Such as in the Lost Bay and such. If so, how can I break the boundary, and walk farther than the minimap dictates?

Thanks.
Re: Filler Maps/Map Editing [message #52880 is a reply to message #52868] Sun, 19 July 2009 19:42 Go to previous message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Finally, a question I feel like answering.

You can use copies of existing levs and tngs to make new maps. There are several problems with this idea though.

First, Fable uses the bwd/wld to tell Fable what maps go where. The bwd is just a binary wld, and can be somewhat confusing. By changing the userst.ini, you can override the reading of the bwd and just use the wld, which is plain-text and much easier to edit.

After editing the wld to include the new map and region, you're good to go, if you delete the stb. You can have new maps if the stb doesn't load. What this means is that there will be no landscape meshes or textures, an invisible terrain. The reason is that there is a list of all maps to load in the stb. If there's one that isn't referenced in the stb, Fable crashes on load.

So I've put together an idea: An stb edit. No, not very original, but this particular edit still hasn't been done to my knowledge. What I'm thinking is duplicate the corresponding stb lev (corresponding, of course, to the duplicated lev/tng). This can be done as easily as any FE-duplication. I personally prefer to rename the entry, make an FMP out of it, rename the entry back to it's original name, load the FMP, and boom, I have a duplicated stb lev. But there's still a problem. The STATIC_MAP_COMMON_HEADER holds the list of maps and offsets to the data. It needs to be edited to include the new map and map data has to be added or something. That's the part I get lost at. It's above my head.

You can always ask Silver in IRC if you're interested in doing this. Fair warning though, don't waste his time. If I lost you in this post, don't bother.

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=809& start=0&
http://fabletlcmod.com/wiki/doku.php?id=file_formats:stb
http://fabletlcmod.com/wiki/doku.php?id=file_formats:stb_lev

There might also be the problem of maps and map data not being able to be on top of each other. If that doesn't work, you could still probably do it this way but the map would have to be moved to not be on top of any other maps, meaning it'd have an invisible ground (still better than the whole game having an invisible ground). My only recommendation with that one is to either master the stb (no, kidding) or learn how to manipulate heightmaps and make fake terrain meshes.
Previous Topic: how to change floor?
Next Topic: This is what we really need some of...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:01:42 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01267 seconds