Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer.
icon5.gif  Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54559] Fri, 09 October 2009 22:18 Go to next message
TheFableNoob is currently offline  TheFableNoob
I've searched my error and through the forums but couldn't find a solution. The vista guides don't help as I have full control of everything (Being the only user) and I have shown Compatibility files.

Alright for chocolate box. I can't even open it, it just says application has stopped working as soon as I double click it.
I've changed it to run as admin and run in windows xp compatibility.

For Albion Explorer. It says it cannot find registry path.

I changed the path to my levels folder.
I dumped the .wad into data not level.
I've done everything as it says in the vista guides.
I installed everything in the default setting.
I'm running it as admin and set to xp compatibility.

Any help please?

EDIT: I read somewhere something by JonDoe saying that a registry code can mess it up. I don't know about this but the one that came in the box didn't work so I used one from the Forums.

Also, My searching may not have been fruitful enough.
But I honestly can't be bothered to read every post in the tools discussion about Albion Explorer.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 October 2009 22:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54560 is a reply to message #54559] Fri, 09 October 2009 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
First make sure you have installed Fable, then make sure you've installed it properly. Funny thing - I don't know if it can be installed improperly, but somehow someone has managed it, so...

Second - check the registry. Start|Run, regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Fable\1.0
Check the SetupPath value, make sure it is right. As an example, if you installed in the default location, it will say:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters\
Now, very important, it absolutely must have that \ at the end of it. Without it, it won't work.

Third - Even if you're the only user, you need ownership. Refer to the Vista guides again. Start here for your orientation, click the provided links at the bottom of that post and read those too. Do whatever it says to do. Take ownership, run as admin, do it nao. kthxbai.

Fourth - see if it works. See if a different error pops up. If you still get an error, get the prerequisites.
DirectX Runtimes
MSVC++ 2005 SP1
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Fifth, see if it works. If it does, good. If it doesn't, check the error. See what's going on. If you've already dumped the FinalAlbion.wad with FreeRoam, make sure you've dumped in the right place (data folder, not Levels).You'll have a Levels folder in your Levels folder if you dumped in the wrong place. Just right-click|Cut the second levels folder (the one inside the levels folder) and paste over the first levels folder (in the data folder), confirm overwrite, and you're good to go. If you didn't dump the FinalAlbion.wad, CBox/AE should take care of it for you. But if it doesn't, and it seems that this is where it hangs, use FreeRoam and dump the files in the right place. If you screw that up (safe bet, you're even money already), then refer to previous instructions on what to do about it.

Sixth. See if it works. If not, you screwed up. Start from the beginning of this post and try again until it works or until you quit.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54562 is a reply to message #54559] Fri, 09 October 2009 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the very informational post John, as I'd of had no idea where to find any of this

First, I've installed Fable, I installed it into the default set installing folders(can those be wrong?)
By the way the default was different from what you said, For some reason I have 2 sets of program files, one is Program Files
And the other is Program Files(x86) I don't know what the 86 does but I just installed it into the default.
By checking the regedit I found no Microsoft games folder. Here's the picture of the M's
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae200/TheFableNoob/Regedit.jpg
So this basically means that the x86 folder is not the correct place to install it? Am I right?

Second. I guess I didn't notice the HTML link for the take ownership link as I figured I already had ownership since there was no button for it. Thank you ignorance.

Third, I have downloaded most of the newest in the handy-dandy computer things.
DirectX Runtimes
MSVC++ 2005 SP1(I've never heard of it. What does it do? Googling it now.)
.NET Framework
Adobe
Flash

Fourth, as you may have read in my previous post I dumped the files into the Data folder not levels.

I may start completely over just to make it easier on my pea-sized brain. Thanks for the information I'll try it all out.

EDIT: Downloaded everything. Took ownership. Did it nao. Didn't work.

Same errors.
Pictures of Le Errors.
Chocolate box!
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae200/TheFableNoob/error1.jpg
Albion Explorer!
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae200/TheFableNoob/error2.jpg

I'm gunna try restarting. After that I'll reinstall. Should I install into the normal program files folder? (The non x86 one) or just do default again. Well I'll check this in the morning since it's already 2:14 AM. G'night hope to see some more well informed answers to my plight.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 October 2009 00:25]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54563 is a reply to message #54562] Sat, 10 October 2009 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
TheFableNoob wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 01:50

(can those be wrong?)
No. As long as nothing touches the registry after install, any install directory will work.

Second. I guess I didn't notice the HTML link for the take ownership link as I figured I already had ownership since there was no button for it.
Vista is the nanny OS. It watches over you and assumes you're a moron and so safeguards everything you do. While most people are morons, for us non-morons, this is a hindrance. You will need absolute control over everything on your computer, taking it out of the hands of the OS. I believe DarkenedSoul knows more about this, his input will be useful.

MSVC++ 2005 SP1(I've never heard of it. What does it do? Googling it now.)
It installs some DLLs required to use programs made with Visual C++. This is needed if you don't have Visual C++ 2005 installed - most people don't.

Should I install into the normal program files folder? (The non x86 one) or just do default again.
It shouldn't matter, except for Vista not giving ownership of anything in system directories (like any Program Files folder) to the user. If you would like, you can install in "My Documents". This should bypass all that. Like I said, DarkenedSoul would know more about this, anything from him is worth reading. This will do for now until he can be bothered to reply.

Now, something else. The fact that you're on a x64 machine may be an issue, but I've no experience with that. I'll have to consult one of the site's metaminds to give you a good answer on that one.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54577 is a reply to message #54563] Sat, 10 October 2009 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

I've heard of several problems with programs related to modding and programs such as games on 64Bit. Since I don't have a copy of it, I really don't know what to suggest other than uninstalling and reinstalling in the default place (But keep the FinalAlbion folder so you don't have to use FreeRoam again).

I wish I could help more, but I simply can't. Have you tried running it without a compatability mode? I never used a compatability mode and it works just fine on Vista.

But Vista does screw up when you try to change anything within the Program Files due to its nature, but taking ownership and running .exes as an administrator should fix that.

I'm sorry I can't help you any more than that.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54580 is a reply to message #54559] Sat, 10 October 2009 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the answers.

Can using Free Roam mess it up even if done correctly?
I think I read somewhere that Chocolate box does the free roam thing for you as well.
So if I reinstall I'll just take ownership of everything change it to run as admin and then run chocolate box and see what happens.

Time to spend the next hour of my life hunched over a computer screen ^^;.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54607 is a reply to message #54580] Mon, 12 October 2009 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
TheFableNoob wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 20:43

Thanks for the answers.
Holy crap someone said thanks. For future reference to new members - be like this.

Can using Free Roam mess it up even if done correctly?
No. FreeRoam should cause no problems. If you use FreeRoam manually, be sure to need to rename the FinalAlbion.wad. That's the one thing I don't see in the first post.

I think I read somewhere that Chocolate box does the free roam thing for you as well.
Yes and no. It dumps the files like FreeRoam, but it doesn't patch the LEVs to enable FreeRoaming like FreeRoam. I suppose it could with some extra code... but meh.

So if I reinstall I'll just take ownership of everything change it to run as admin and then run chocolate box and see what happens.

Time to spend the next hour of my life hunched over a computer screen ^^;.
Hope it works, let us know.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54647 is a reply to message #54607] Tue, 13 October 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Holy crap someone said thanks. For future reference to new members - be like this.

As for that, I never take help for granted. There isn't always going to be someone to answer your questions. Saying thanks to any help I receive is my personal lifestyle.

Quote:

I've heard of several problems with programs related to modding and programs such as games on 64Bit. Since I don't have a copy of it, I really don't know what to suggest other than uninstalling and reinstalling in the default place (But keep the FinalAlbion folder so you don't have to use FreeRoam again).

I wish I could help more, but I simply can't. Have you tried running it without a compatability mode? I never used a compatability mode and it works just fine on Vista.

But Vista does screw up when you try to change anything within the Program Files due to its nature, but taking ownership and running .exes as an administrator should fix that.

I'm sorry I can't help you any more than that.

Thank you for at least the thought and time, any help is appreciated. I've tried without compatability and it's the same.

Now then back to fable. I made back-ups as soon as I installed it off the discs and put them on my external Hard drive.
I've now copy and pasted the entire thing over the "edited" so to say Fable folder. Are there any special files that I should watch out for that could be left behind due to replacement of the non modded Fable?

Quote:

Yes and no. It dumps the files like FreeRoam, but it doesn't patch the LEVs to enable FreeRoaming like FreeRoam. I suppose it could with some extra code... but meh.

Okay so if I enjoy doing things outside the map I need to use FreeRoam. Gotcha. I must say though finding glitches and getting to previously unreached places is rather fun. I may document my many travels. Cool Although I still wonder if there could be a way to add in a jump function. I'm not really experienced with that kind of addition to game code but I love messing with and looking through codes. Although I'm pretty sure on it being hard coded into the game. The possibility of just changing your x and y axis is still there though. That could be achieved through various EVIL "third party programs", Correct me if I'm wrong.
(Went off topic , sorry Confused)

Yes I forgot to mention that I renamed the finalalbion.wad after moving it to my desktop. Sorry for that.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 October 2009 15:04]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54651 is a reply to message #54647] Tue, 13 October 2009 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
TheFableNoob wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 16:40

Although I still wonder if there could be a way to add in a jump function.
If the jump animation exists, you could perhaps replace the forward roll with it. Thing is, and this is important, you can't jump over anything that you can't walk over. Fable physics blow.

Yes I forgot to mention that I renamed the finalalbion.wad after moving it to my desktop.
Only need to do one or the other, so long as the file isn't recognized by Fable (so simply renaming it will work, easier to keep track of that way).

But to the serious stuff -

Thank you for at least the thought and time, any help is appreciated. I've tried without compatability and it's the same.

Now then back to fable. I made back-ups as soon as I installed it off the discs and put them on my external Hard drive.
I've now copy and pasted the entire thing over the "edited" so to say Fable folder. Are there any special files that I should watch out for that could be left behind due to replacement of the non modded Fable?
The tools should work on x64 machines. There used to be a problem with CBox, but that's been updated. Grab the latest version if you haven't (look at bottom of the post). Nothing else to say in regards to x64 issues, and DarkenedSoul has covered the Vista issues head to toe.

If it doesn't work, I am stumped. This won't solve anything but... you may need to rename the FinalAlbion.wad again, if you've copied the backup files over the other ones (assuming you backed up the FinalAlbion.wad).

I'll also add that if neither CBox/AE work, but you can get FreeRoam to work, you can edit TNGs in notepad. They're plain text files.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54652 is a reply to message #54651] Tue, 13 October 2009 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

If the jump animation exists, you could perhaps replace the forward roll with it. Thing is, and this is important, you can't jump over anything that you can't walk over. Fable physics blow.
Couldn't this be solved by adding in an "invisible" platform so to say? Since you can edit maps and make maps this should be possible albeit time costly.

Quote:

The tools should work on x64 machines. There used to be a problem with CBox, but that's been updated. Grab the latest version if you haven't (look at bottom of the post). Nothing else to say in regards to x64 issues, and DarkenedSoul has covered the Vista issues head to toe.

I have the latest version. Maybe I should try using the previous ones just to see if it changes anything or gives a different error?

Quote:

If it doesn't work, I am stumped. This won't solve anything but... you may need to rename the FinalAlbion.wad again, if you've copied the backup files over the other ones (assuming you backed up the FinalAlbion.wad).

I took the entire Fable folder from my backup on the external hard drive and copied it over , and since it was before my using the FreeRoam application , the FinalAlbion.WAD should be the same as the one I put on my desktop for easier access.

Quote:

I'll also add that if neither CBox/AE work, but you can get FreeRoam to work, you can edit TNGs in notepad. They're plain text files.

Actually this suits me better. I'm better at direct editing, as I used to mod FATE Alot, although FATE was alot easier as the developers actually encouraged modding, and some of them even showed up on forums to give advice.

Thanks once again for the help. I wanted to get a little input on things in case a file managed to mess up something permanently due to the paste over.

EDIT: Looking back , I can't believe I forgot to post this. For some reason after copying my back-up over top of the one on my computer, The files I gained from using FreeRoam are still there. I'm assuming this is because the FinalAlbion.WAD the got pasted over had them all extracted, and since the original doesn't have them like that it left them. SO, should I delete them? Leave them? I'll try using Cbox and AE with it like it is.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 October 2009 16:18]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54653 is a reply to message #54652] Tue, 13 October 2009 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
TheFableNoob wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 18:14

Couldn't this be solved by adding in an "invisible" platform so to say? Since you can edit maps and make maps this should be possible albeit time costly.
The platform would need to have collision, this would need to be done on everything you would want the player to be able to jump over. As you say, time costly. Very time costly.

I have the latest version. Maybe I should try using the previous ones just to see if it changes anything or gives a different error?
It shouldn't be an issue, but at this point you can give it a try.

I took the entire Fable folder from my backup on the external hard drive and copied it over , and since it was before my using the FreeRoam application , the FinalAlbion.WAD should be the same as the one I put on my desktop for easier access.
That's what I'm saying. Unless you moved the FinalAlbion.wad before making the backup, and you instead backed up an entire set of LEVs and TNGs, you'll have the FinalAlbion.wad back and it will need to be taken care of again. Since you already have it backed up on your desktop, deleting it will be fine.

Actually this suits me better.
Be sure to check out the scripting guides/tutorials linked in OldBoy's sticky in the General Mod Discussion forum. It will help a lot.

For some reason after copying my back-up over top of the one on my computer, The files I gained from using FreeRoam are still there. I'm assuming this is because the FinalAlbion.WAD the got pasted over had them all extracted, and since the original doesn't have them like that it left them. SO, should I delete them? Leave them? I'll try using Cbox and AE with it like it is.
If you delete them, you'll need the FinalAlbion.wad in the Levels folder. The game needs one or the other. You can have both, but then the game will use the FinalAlbion.wad. If you want to make edits, keep the LEVs/TNGs, but get rid of the FinalAlbion.wad.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54656 is a reply to message #54653] Tue, 13 October 2009 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off topic-ness ftw. I was wondering this for awhile. I noticed that with fable, when you walk off an edge you seem to keep walking for a bit and fall sort of at an angle. Does assassin rush/battle charge Affect this? Can you use it to maybe make the angle of falling more obtuse?

Back to the topic at hand.

I tried using the programs right after moving the backup over with everything left alone. Everything worked/didn't work the same as before. So I've completely uninstalled and deleted any leftovers I could find.

I reinstalled in the default directory, used Darkened's guide to get started on modding, and tried running CBox. didn't work. Same problem. Tried running Albion Explorer. Same smell, Unable to locate registry info. Everything was set to run as admin.

I guess I'll have to edit with EditPad x.x.

Thanks for the help John and DarkenedSoul. If I find out a way to make it work, I'll post it here.
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54676 is a reply to message #54559] Fri, 16 October 2009 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

I honestly don't see why you're having these problems on 64 bit Vista, it's an enigma to me. I'm sorry man Sad

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54687 is a reply to message #54656] Sat, 17 October 2009 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
TheFableNoob wrote on Wed, 14 October 2009 05:00

I reinstalled in the default directory, used Darkened's guide to get started on modding, and tried running CBox. didn't work. Same problem. Tried running Albion Explorer. Same smell, Unable to locate registry info. Everything was set to run as admin.

This is too vague. I need the exact error message to know where the problem is.

You tried to the custom ini path in the ChocolateBox.ini file, right?

Note! AlbionExplorer help is not provided. Smile

Busy!

[Updated on: Sat, 17 October 2009 08:55]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54689 is a reply to message #54687] Sat, 17 October 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

BayStone wrote on Sat, 17 October 2009 08:54

Note! AlbionExplorer help is not provided. Smile

Chances are if you get CBox working, Albion Explorer will work too.

Anyway, about the Compatability Files issue, I think that it still exists even though the button isn't there, you just need to go to the directory for it. Which is:

C:\Users\[INSERT YOUR COMPUTER USER HERE]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters\data\Levels\

If you use the default install directory.

Which is weird, why is it in the VirtualStore? It's odd, but unfortunately the game won't work unless the FreeRoam files are in both places.

I'm trying to find a way around this.

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54701 is a reply to message #54559] Sun, 18 October 2009 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after going through and trying using the Users folder, I noticed that after awhile things started to get buggy. So I did a reinstall.

When using freeroam I must've done the noob mistake and put the levels folder in levels. But this made it easier, As the new levels had the FinalAlbion Folder. And all I had to do was copy it over.

well that solved my newly aquired problem but the problem with Cbox and AE still stands. I changed the mypath back to the folder for Fable TLC in Cbox.ini but it still didn't work. I'm stumped as to how I can get this to work. Multiple reinstalls and multiple trials and errors. Nothing seems to make it work.

Quote:

This is too vague. I need the exact error message to know where the problem is.

You tried to the custom ini path in the ChocolateBox.ini file, right?

There is no error. Just the classical and evil, This application has stopped working. With a close program button.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 October 2009 20:46]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54708 is a reply to message #54701] Tue, 20 October 2009 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
TheFableNoob wrote on Mon, 19 October 2009 09:52

well that solved my newly aquired problem but the problem with Cbox and AE still stands. I changed the mypath back to the folder for Fable TLC in Cbox.ini but it still didn't work.

if you set the MyPath and it still didn't work, as per the crash, then it's not a registry issue. It goes a bit deeper than that, to where, I don't know really. Confused There might still be something wrong with the prequisites or the overall setup, like Vista and I can't help with that.

Busy!

[Updated on: Tue, 20 October 2009 01:59]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54745 is a reply to message #54708] Thu, 22 October 2009 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if you set the MyPath and it still didn't work, as per the crash, then it's not a registry issue. It goes a bit deeper than that, to where, I don't know really. There might still be something wrong with the prequisites or the overall setup, like Vista and I can't help with that.

Meh I'll just have to live with text editing. If one day it magically works due to one of my random clicking sessions I'll try to post how I did it Razz
Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54887 is a reply to message #54559] Sat, 31 October 2009 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danielh is currently offline  danielh
Reading through all of this and doing exactly what it says, i have exactly the same problem as well. Sad And i'm running on vista 32bit. Also i'm using fable: Bare, is it the same as freeroam or should i use freeroam instead?

[Updated on: Sat, 31 October 2009 08:37]

Re: Problems with chocolatebox/Albion Explorer. [message #54890 is a reply to message #54887] Sat, 31 October 2009 09:30 Go to previous message

Administrator

danielh wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 08:35

Reading through all of this and doing exactly what it says, i have exactly the same problem as well. Sad And i'm running on vista 32bit. Also i'm using fable: Bare, is it the same as freeroam or should i use freeroam instead?

Get the prestiquities in the CBox thread.

Previous Topic: Cbox problem
Next Topic: Free Roam crashes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:20:47 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01428 seconds