Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Rigged Meshes from Blender Won't Work
Rigged Meshes from Blender Won't Work [message #54933] Thu, 05 November 2009 08:12 Go to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

From my website:

Quote:

A Sad Day for Fable Modders
November 5th, 2009
This morning I made another attempt to export a rigged mesh from Blender to import to FE, and the attempt failed. I first imported the yew bow mesh from Fable into Blender; the directX importer does not import skeletons or bone weights, but I put together a makeshift bow skeleton and weighted the verts on the bow. When I exported, I checked to make sure the weights had been exported by opening the .x file and looking through it, and indeed the weights were there. I copied all the mesh and weight data (not the skeleton data, just the weights), and pasted it over the mesh and weight data of the exported bow from fable, but when I imported it to FE I got an error “tried to write over write protected data” or something of the sort. I’ve messed around with the .x file a bit, including replacing the XSkinMeshHeader or whatever with that of the original (determines max bones per vert, max weight per vert and such), but nothing seems to work.

From that experiment, I conclude that rigged meshes exported from Blender simply are not compatable with FE, and a new exporter must be written (probably, I suppose that it could have been FE or perhaps some other issue with the way I designed the bow, but most likely it simply did not like the way the bone weights were exported) for Blender to export Fable-Compatable directX files.

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Rigged Meshes from Blender Won't Work [message #54936 is a reply to message #54933] Thu, 05 November 2009 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
1. All bones have a bone offset matrix child node at origin.
2. Helpers have "dummy" bone parents, which also have bone offset matrix child nodes at origin.
3. I don't even have to mention the hierarchy I'm sure. Wink
4. This is the important one, like more-important-than-the-others important - Different standards have different templates and structures, mixing FE-exported stuff with Blender-exported stuff is a guaranteed no-go.

What I would recommend is trying to get the Blender-exported file into FE in any kind of way possible, then exporting it (gives it the standard used by FE), then messing around with it using stuff from other bow meshes. Just a suggestion.
Re: Rigged Meshes from Blender Won't Work [message #54937 is a reply to message #54936] Thu, 05 November 2009 15:33 Go to previous message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

As I said, I didn't use the exported bones, just the weights, but yes, I understand that there are different templates. The template for mesh and materials and everything I've had to use so far has worked pretty well, but apparently it doesn't like that for bone weights.

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Previous Topic: Help with size change in Fable Explorer
Next Topic: Adding Armor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:31:07 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01626 seconds