Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tutorials » [Graphics] Free Photoshop alternatives
[Graphics] Free Photoshop alternatives [message #55337] Wed, 23 December 2009 01:31
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

For editing pictures, Photoshop is the standard nowadays.
It's also very expensive, and has a lot of features most people will never need.
Hence a small list of free alternatives that pack a punch. (More can be found here.)

Paint.net

Paint.NET is a freeware raster graphics editing program for Microsoft Windows, developed on the .NET Framework. Paint.NET has evolved from a simple replacement for the Microsoft Paint program, which is included with Windows, into a powerful editor with support for layers, blending, transparency, and plugins.

Love this app. I use it myself because it's fast and packs a lot of features that I use most in Photoshop.

Get it here. Info on Wikipedia.
Requires .net 3.5 sp1.

GIMP

GIMP (The GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free software raster graphics editor. It is primarily employed as an image retouching and editing tool, in addition to offering freeform drawing, GIMP can accomplish essential image workflow steps such as resizing, editing, and cropping photos, combining multiple images, and converting between different image formats.

This open source app is very similar to Photoshop in it's capabilities. Very powerful piece of software, but pretty complex as well. If you're new to image editing, go for something that has less features.

Download here. Info on Wikipedia.

GIMPshop

GIMPshop is a modification of the free and open source graphics program GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP. Or, according to the developer:
"My original purpose for GIMPshop was to make the Gimp accessible to the many Adobe Photoshop users out there. I hope I’ve done that. And maybe along the way, I can convert a Photoshop pirate into a Gimp user."

What it says. I personally prefer this version, since it's interface feels more comfortable to me.

Artweaver

Artweaver is a freeware raster graphics editor for Windows, mainly oriented to professional and amateur artists who are familiar with commercial programs like Adobe Photoshop and especially Corel Painter. It offers effect filters like sharpen, blur, emboss, and mosaic, as well as transparency and layer support in its own AWD format. Artweaver supports most common file formats.

Pretty new player on the market. Version 1.0 was released in September 09. No experience with this, but looks very promising.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 December 2009 01:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: [Scripting] Import & Export Tng's with Fable Explorer
Next Topic: [General] Play Quests again after completion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:11:20 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01059 seconds