Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Mods » Work In Progress » Armour with dynamic capes
Armour with dynamic capes [message #56448] Tue, 16 March 2010 20:18 Go to next message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
nicomon

Did you see the picture above? Did you believe the cape was dynamic? Well, it is.
It started a few days ago, when I was looking through the graphics.big, and saw a model with a cape. I decided to make it a piece of armour, and this became the early tests.

And a proof of it being dynamic:

Later, after having given up on making a dynamic cape, I was messing around with NPC clothing, trying to get it to work without a model switch, or any modeling at all. The answer was alpha textures, as seen in these screenshots:

It wasn't until after I posted those last two screenshots on Fabletlcmod.com that I realized I could use the alpha textures to hide the rest of the model that had the dynamic cape, and use the CAppearanceModifierDef to put it on a separate piece of armour. The result was the picture at the top of this thread. And here it is again:

And a slightly different one, as proof that it is dynamic:

I hope all you modders have fun with this discovery, and my mod involving it will be released soon.

I posted that on projectego.net, and here is the file. It contains a caped version of the normal, dark, and light plate, as well as platinum. I give credit to JohnDoe, who's plate/platinum variant package I took the models for the armour(not the cape)from, as the normals models were acting weird. Please tell me if there are any problems. By the way, the FMP was made in shadownet.

EDIT 5: New fmp. It's finally been fixed, and should work this time. Also, since it works now, could a moderator move it back to the objects section?

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2011 11:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56463 is a reply to message #56448] Thu, 18 March 2010 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chaos is currently offline  chaos
Sick.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/korgoth-of-barbaria/chaos-1.jpg
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56464 is a reply to message #56463] Fri, 19 March 2010 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

This is not working for me. I get an error when I click 'Load FMP', then the click the fmp. I am trying to apply it using ShadowNet, and I even loaded Jon's plate variant fmp just in case. I see its been downloaded several times, but has anyone applied it and gotten it to work?

Here is the error I get:
index.php?t=getfile&id=8587&private=0

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56465 is a reply to message #56464] Fri, 19 March 2010 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops. Forgot to test it on a clean install. I'll do the tomorrow, and see if I can find what the problem is. I'd do it right now, but it's past midnight where I live and I'm tired.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56492 is a reply to message #56465] Fri, 19 March 2010 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charrzarr is currently offline  charrzarr
man i hope u can get this thing up and running right. if u can i might even be interested in taking a look at making a more solid cape(i have a theory on that already that i may go ahead and test on the NPC that u ripped that from...if i can find it...cud u PM the name of that pert's origin?) but this looks AWESOME and i cant wait to get it!!!

If all else fails, slap 'em with a fish.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56496 is a reply to message #56492] Fri, 19 March 2010 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It may be a bit longer than expected for me to load it up to see what's wrong, as the internet on the computer that I keep Fable on isn't working.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56503 is a reply to message #56496] Sat, 20 March 2010 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

I am moving this to WIP.
Let me know when you have a look at it and make changes, if changes need to be made. I am confident that if it worked it would work for me as I do not normally have problems applying fmps. If someone else has had this work for them let me know please.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56504 is a reply to message #56448] Sat, 20 March 2010 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
nicomon, I've attached an FMP that I'd like you to try out. It doesn't do anything to the game.bin, it adds two mesh entries and three textures. Doesn't overwrite anything. It might not work - while I can't find any major differences between those particular textures and others, those used primarily on dynamic mesh don't seem to be viewable in FE/CBox, so there may be something special about them that I don't know about yet. Whether or not it works is what I want you to find out. Wink

Edit: Forgot to say what they are. The meshes are the same as the one you're using as a cape, just retextured.One is red, the other blue. The textures used are standard and so are viewable/editable in FE/CBox. Whether or not these edited textures can be used on dynamic cloth in Fable without crashing is what I'm interested in.

Edit again: I also forgot to say how impressed I am with this idea. I'm not sure if you're aware of the technical bits, but because the mesh uses the Hero's bones and animations instead of the undead general's bones and animations, it moves and adjusts perfectly with the Hero. And how you're doing this gives me an idea for something else that I'll not disclose now. Good work.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2010 21:36]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56505 is a reply to message #56504] Sat, 20 March 2010 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Sat, 20 March 2010 20:37

nicomon, I've attached an FMP that I'd like you to try out. It doesn't do anything to the game.bin, it adds two mesh entries and three textures. Doesn't overwrite anything. It might not work - while I can't find any major differences between those particular textures and others, those used primarily on dynamic mesh don't seem to be viewable in FE/CBox, so there may be something special about them that I don't know about yet. Whether or not it works is what I want you to find out. Wink

Edit: Forgot to say what they are. The meshes are the same as the one you're using as a cape, just retextured.One is red, the other blue. The textures used are standard and so are viewable/editable in FE/CBox. Whether or not these edited textures can be used on dynamic cloth in Fable without crashing is what I'm interested in.

I just checked, and it worked.
JohnDoe wrote on Sat, 20 March 2010 20:37

I also forgot to say how impressed I am with this idea. I'm not sure if you're aware of the technical bits, but because the mesh uses the Hero's bones and animations instead of the undead general's bones and animations, it moves and adjusts perfectly with the Hero.

I understand that it should do that, and it does, with the exception of when the hero runs. For some reason, it drags behind, and stays disconnected from the hero until you stop running.

I also have a new screenshot involving the alpha texture idea I used for this, but to a much larger extent.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2010 02:14]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56506 is a reply to message #56505] Sat, 20 March 2010 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Interesting, not only does it work but it looks good too. I thought for certain it would require at least a little adjustment to keep it from looking like a bed sheet. Thanks. Smile
nicomon wrote on Sun, 21 March 2010 00:57

I understand that it should do that, and it does, with the exception of when the hero runs. For some reason, it drags behind, and stays disconnected from the hero until you stop running.
It might require some manual adjustment (with a hex editor) to get the right amount of "flowage" going on, but that's prohibitively advanced.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56509 is a reply to message #56506] Sun, 21 March 2010 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I've checked what the problem that jwc2200 was having, and I also have a pretty good idea on what is causing it, as well as a way to fix it. It seems that dynamic models don't like being put in fmps with game.bin entries. In other words, It's just plain weirdness. I'll release a fixed version when I can.
EDIT: OK, it's the fix has been posted. Follow the instructions in "EDIT 2", and it should work.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2010 13:30]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56520 is a reply to message #56509] Sun, 21 March 2010 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

The fix works for part of it. I was able to apply the fmps and get the Neutral and Bright Plate shirts, but the Evil and Platinum shirts cause crashing as soon as I get to them in the chest. Hopefully someone else will try this and see if they have the same problem.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56526 is a reply to message #56520] Mon, 22 March 2010 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charrzarr is currently offline  charrzarr
alright if i understand u right, jwc2200, when the anim thingy of the piece shows on screen when u open the chest u crash right?
i get that whenever i try to use a modded form of platinum(aka archon) chest piece. i recomend u try placing it in a shop...that is one method i have had work

If all else fails, slap 'em with a fish.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56544 is a reply to message #56448] Wed, 24 March 2010 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oryp is currently offline  oryp
The first fmp (not the fix) doesn't work for me i load it in, and then it just sits there unresponsive until i actually close it after 20 min. Am i missing something here?
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56545 is a reply to message #56544] Wed, 24 March 2010 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing you missed was the instructions. They are in EDIT2 and EDIT3. You need to load up the fix first, not second.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56546 is a reply to message #56545] Wed, 24 March 2010 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what i did, still nothing after a good 15 min of waiting and saying to hell w/ it.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56547 is a reply to message #56546] Wed, 24 March 2010 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it actually frozen? Because it's loading time is quite quick.

Oh, and you have to apply them both before saving.(Just had to make sure...)

If it still doesn't work, then I don't know what to do, because it's the first time anyone has gotten a dynamic cape to work.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2010 20:54]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56568 is a reply to message #56547] Fri, 26 March 2010 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't get both yours, or john's to work, yours freezes, and john's says it has a thrown exception. I have no idea of the problem, maybe you can PM me how to do it and i can give that a try?
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56570 is a reply to message #56568] Fri, 26 March 2010 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
My guess would be because it's trying to overwrite entries that already exist in the graphics.big. Rename the new mesh entries that have to do with the cape before loading the FMP and see what happens.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56571 is a reply to message #56570] Fri, 26 March 2010 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, but how do i go about doing that?
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #56572 is a reply to message #56571] Fri, 26 March 2010 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
In FE, click graphics.big, scroll down to the very bottom, find the entries that have to do with the cape. Open them. Rename each one (if there's more than one), just add something to the very end, click Apply Changes after renaming them. Do this for each one.

Then load the mod. It will just add more entries rather than attempt to replace the entries. And the links in the game.bin will automatically adjust.

Don't use my FMP, it's only the mesh entries, they were resources for nicomon, and it won't work by itself. Just use his.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #60716 is a reply to message #56448] Wed, 15 December 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arenar is currently offline  Arenar
Sorry to necropost but where is the .fmp? O.o

That's ...... AWESOME!
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #60717 is a reply to message #60716] Wed, 15 December 2010 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arenar wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 17:19

Sorry to necropost but where is the .fmp? O.o

I took it down because it was bugged. I haven't gotten to making a new working version yet.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2010 18:42]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #62046 is a reply to message #60717] Thu, 31 March 2011 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New fmp, finally.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #62263 is a reply to message #56448] Tue, 12 April 2011 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arenar is currently offline  Arenar
Ok....

AWESOME Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That's ...... AWESOME!
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #62935 is a reply to message #56448] Sat, 21 May 2011 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dark_Ansem is currently offline  Dark_Ansem

can we edit the cape itself? I sense a Dark Knight suit coming Razz
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #62937 is a reply to message #62935] Sat, 21 May 2011 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

You can edit the textures, but not the model unless you want a completely nonanimated cape. Rolling Eyes

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #62943 is a reply to message #56448] Sat, 21 May 2011 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dark_Ansem is currently offline  Dark_Ansem

ah no. the cape must move Razz will have to make a medieval dark knight set then Razz and now that I learned how to make average normalmaps it might even look good
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65697 is a reply to message #56448] Tue, 24 January 2012 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Devil Keyz is currently offline  Devil Keyz
Sorry for the necro but how would i go about replacing the plate armor in game with this?.. I have tried playing around a bit in ShadowNet ( tried replacing the playable JOB armor with this mesh but i think if i saved it i would of screwed it up )
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65698 is a reply to message #65697] Tue, 24 January 2012 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not just a mesh, it's full object, so you have to spawn it. A mesh swap won't work, because the cape is a separate mesh.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 January 2012 20:35]

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65699 is a reply to message #56448] Tue, 24 January 2012 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh could you tell me what it is under in objects? I can't find it
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65700 is a reply to message #65699] Tue, 24 January 2012 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's been a while since I looked at it, so I can't remember exactly what it was, but if you're using shadownet it should be the very last entry under objects if it's the most recently installed mod.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65701 is a reply to message #62943] Wed, 25 January 2012 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks bro i found it Smile and thanks for making this awesome mod Smile

I attempted to make some armor parts from undead and NPC's playable but alas i failed everytime lol
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65702 is a reply to message #56448] Wed, 25 January 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird lol when i try to put it on it dosent show and juss crashes
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65703 is a reply to message #65702] Wed, 25 January 2012 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to check that out myself, and see what's causing it. Also, if it shows an error message with the crash, it would helpful of you to post a screenshot of the error.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #65704 is a reply to message #56448] Thu, 26 January 2012 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it had no error message, it just shows the guy spinning around in the inventory screen then his chest disappears and closes
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #66218 is a reply to message #56448] Mon, 26 March 2012 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AnderZ312 is currently offline  AnderZ312
has anyone made a complete mod with this and a fairly decent looking cape (other than the tattered one, its amazing) because this would seem like something that could be re-textured to be amazing. and it would be cool if there was different chest pieces with the cape like dark plate with shoulder and dark plate without so on and so fourth. it just seems like an amazing mod that needs to be taken further. Surprised

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/183/1/5/15fb2863efd82e9e2dd427fdbce3748f-d3ktb0l.jpg
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #66220 is a reply to message #66218] Tue, 27 March 2012 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

It was implemented in Conquest I believe, though I'm not entirely sure. As for the tattered cape, it can't be made whole as far as I know, as it's pretty much a cape mesh from undead that was sewn onto the plate armor via the CAppearanceModifierDef, and if you were to try and complete this with a modelling program, Fable wouldn't have it, as it doesn't like us importing dynamic meshes.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #66223 is a reply to message #66220] Tue, 27 March 2012 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The holes are just hidden with the alpha of the texture. A retexture is all that is needed to make it look complete.

This post(which is higher up in this thread) has a screenshot of a retextured version.

Re: Armour with dynamic capes [message #66224 is a reply to message #66220] Tue, 27 March 2012 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AnderZ312 is currently offline  AnderZ312
asmcint wrote on Tue, 27 March 2012 05:23

It was implemented in Conquest I believe, though I'm not entirely sure. As for the tattered cape, it can't be made whole as far as I know, as it's pretty much a cape mesh from undead that was sewn onto the plate armor via the CAppearanceModifierDef, and if you were to try and complete this with a modelling program, Fable wouldn't have it, as it doesn't like us importing dynamic meshes.

so pretty much you're saying it would be impossible to change the shoulders in a way so that there a plate shoulder on one side and the cape on the other? i can understand how that would be difficult but i think jhondoe did it with his plate mod, the one that gives you like 6 of each plate with different shoulder and such. but if i knew how to do it i would but i am simple minded with this kinda thing Razz

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/183/1/5/15fb2863efd82e9e2dd427fdbce3748f-d3ktb0l.jpg
Previous Topic: Fable: Small World... Or Huge?
Next Topic: [WIP] - Fable SDK
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:03:59 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01288 seconds