Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Character run speed in FE
Character run speed in FE [message #56994] Tue, 27 April 2010 21:30 Go to next message
Synte is currently offline  Synte
Can someone tell me where in FE I can manipulate how fast the character runs?

Thanks in advance.

-Syn
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #56995 is a reply to message #56994] Tue, 27 April 2010 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Unfortunately, walking/running speed is not determined by definitions or any game variable. While there will be things labeled such that it would seem that they would be related in some way or another to speed, they most likely do nothing.

Animations. CAppearanceDef. Another sad fact, we can't do new animations, so one would need to find an existing set of faster animations and replace the slower animations with them. Luckily, morerunes has already done this. Link.
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #56998 is a reply to message #56994] Wed, 28 April 2010 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

Morerunes made a mod that made the default walk the running speed and the running speed a faster run. I can't remember where it is though, so you'll have to go looking.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #56999 is a reply to message #56998] Wed, 28 April 2010 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkenedSoul wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 08:18

Morerunes made a mod that made the default walk the running speed and the running speed a faster run. I can't remember where it is though, so you'll have to go looking.

I'm not so much interested in a mod for it as much as how it was accomplished.

Thanks though.

-Syn
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57000 is a reply to message #56999] Wed, 28 April 2010 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Synte wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 09:11

Thanks though.

In that case, you can change the file extension from .fmp to .big and load the .big to see the exact changes the fmp does - so you can see how it was done.

Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57001 is a reply to message #57000] Wed, 28 April 2010 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkenedSoul wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 09:42

Synte wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 09:11

Thanks though.

In that case, you can change the file extension from .fmp to .big and load the .big to see the exact changes the fmp does - so you can see how it was done.

Oh wow. That is a nifty trick there, thanks a bundle. Razz

-Syn
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57002 is a reply to message #56994] Wed, 28 April 2010 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Anytime. Smile

Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57003 is a reply to message #56994] Wed, 28 April 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i43.tinypic.com/i5akqc.jpg

So, I am admittedly new to Fable explorer and fable modding, I'll try to minimize my questions regarding FE.

But I do have a question about your suggested method of changing the file extension from .fmp to .big an then loading the .big in FE to see exact changes.

As you can see from the screen shot above I tried doing this with an fmp mod of my own, then I tried double clicking Hero stats to see if I could pinpoint my own changes, the problem is, it doesn't give me the normal FE filetree to expand, etc. Am I missing something? I'm sure its right under my nose, and I'm sorry to bother you all.

On a sidenote are there any other active modding forums/sites for fable TLC?

-Syn
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57004 is a reply to message #57003] Wed, 28 April 2010 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

I think the change to big really only helps you see which bigs and bins were changed by an fmp. It doesn't show details. This is useful to see which files to replace if an fmp causes problems, but I don't see any other advantage.
This site is one that many of us also use:
http://forums.projectego.net/

Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57005 is a reply to message #56994] Wed, 28 April 2010 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Smile

-Syn
Re: Character run speed in FE [message #57011 is a reply to message #57005] Wed, 28 April 2010 18:14 Go to previous message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
jwc2200 wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 18:52

I think the change to big really only helps you see which bigs and bins were changed by an fmp. It doesn't show details. This is useful to see which files to replace if an fmp causes problems, but I don't see any other advantage.
It also shows what specific entries were edited, and for advanced users (familiar with a hex editor), one can export the entry data from the entries in the FMP and then export the entry data of the original entry in the game.bin, then do a file compare between the two files, grab the CRC that comes before the differences (if it's a *.bin entry), look up the CRC in the def.xml, but that's a lot of hassle to find out specifically what was edited.

Another way to do it is to make a copy of the game.bin, load the FMP, then manually open the other game.bin in FE, then compare the edited entries to find the difference.

But either way in this case would be useless, because FE doesn't display the CAppearanceDef.

The conventional way is to export the CREATURE_HERO CAppearanceDef, open it using Silverback's CAppearanceDef Sucks tool, then find the walking/running animations and replace them with the animations of your choice.

There's another, faster way that might cause some problems but usually works out alright. Because FE decompresses the CAppearanceDef when exporting, you can open it in a hex editor and run find/replace operations to swap out animations. The numbers to find and replace will be the graphics.big IDs of the animations.

And a good way to find specific animations is with FE. Double-click graphics.big, find and open MESH_HERO, then scroll back near to the top to find the animations (I think they stop somewhere in the 3000s). Click and drag an animation entry over the preview window in the MESH_HERO entry, and the mesh will start looping that animation. If you're using ShadowNet FE, you can use the built-in search to find the walk/jog/run/sprint animations (search for walk and continue to click search until you find some with "HERO" in their names).

When you're done editing the CAppearanceDef, import it over the same entry (or duplicate the entry, import over the new one, then link it in the CREATURE_HERO entry, which ever), Save Mods and Run Fable and you're done.

I'm starting to confuse myself with this post, can't make sense of my words right now. See what you can get with that and if I messed up the advice or if it doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll see if I can clear it up. For now, rest.
Previous Topic: chest's help
Next Topic: hello everybody, i'm new here
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:12:02 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01737 seconds