Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Can't mod Fable
Can't mod Fable [message #57697] Tue, 15 June 2010 06:54 Go to next message
Guts is currently offline  Guts
For about the last week I've been trying to mod Fable. I've done everything right as far as I can tell, but no matter what I do, whether its loading any .fmp at all, modifying anything already existing, or just spawning an item in my inventory, it messes up my game and I have to reinstall. Now I know how to do most basic stuff by now, I follow instructions exactly as they say, but no matter what I change with Fable Explorer, it always does it. What happens is, even though the mods or changes I make usually work, every single NPC in the game has their melee weapon unequipped and sitting on the ground near them after any changes are made to the game (guards try to use their crossbows as clubs...). I've tried everything, Fable Explorer zipped version, then the .exe version, the Shadownet one, and even the Chocolate Box application (although with Chocolate Box it just says "Fable.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" at the title screen), it does it no matter what. I'm sure I've done everything correctly, but there must be one little thing I'm missing or something, because I can't mod Fable in any way, I've tried everything and looked everywhere, I can't find any solutions to this, and no one else seems to have this problem. So, could someone here please tell me what is wrong with my Fable or what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance...

Moderators note: Please don't swear on our forums, thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2010 03:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57698 is a reply to message #57697] Tue, 15 June 2010 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Well for one are you on vista or windows 7? If so you may need to be sure that you are set as the computer's administrator, because not doing so causes all to many problems with modders on vista and seven. If you are set as the administrator, then I have no clue.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57709 is a reply to message #57698] Tue, 15 June 2010 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, didn't know you couldn't swear here. I'm on XP Home, and I am set as the administrator.
Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57710 is a reply to message #57709] Tue, 15 June 2010 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Weird story.
It's hard to jugde what "I've tried everything" means exactly.
But anyway.

My advice would be:
1-grab fresh, unmodded gamefiles
2-backup your game.bin
3-fire up FE
4-make a single, simple edit
5-see what happens

As for step 1: if you decide to reinstall, you have to manually delete the modded gamefiles after uninstall, or they will remain where they are.
As for step 4: do something like give the hero a weapon via the weapon slot 1, or something similar simple like that.
As for the swearing: personally I don't really have a problem with it, but it's not necessary either so it's nice to keep things clean here.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2010 14:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57745 is a reply to message #57710] Wed, 16 June 2010 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trust me, I might not have tried everything but I have tried a LOT of things, my computer just won't let me modify Fable without doing this. But I was wrong about one thing, I can load .fmps without it happening, and therefore can make an .fmp to make some changes (like adding a weapon to the weapon 1 entry, don't remember if doing it normally works), but can't do things like modifying item properties that way for some reason. I've reinstalled many times but never thought to delete any left over files, maybe I'll try that.

PS. I know it sounds weird but its exactly what's happening.
Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57746 is a reply to message #57697] Wed, 16 June 2010 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so it turns out it only happens when I change the Weapon Hand slot from 923 (right hand) to 925 (both hands) in the CCarryableDef entry, but not when I change it from SWORD to HEAVY_WEAPON in the CWeaponDef entry, nor if I modify the damage. Sorry for the false info, I could have sword it happened when I changed anything, but apparently its only if I change the hand slot of any weapon.
Re: Can't mod Fable [message #57747 is a reply to message #57746] Wed, 16 June 2010 05:11 Go to previous message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Good that your problem is solved.
Happy modding, case closed.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Previous Topic: quicksilver: "I'm back! To Fable modding :)"
Next Topic: Problem has been resolved.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:32:10 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01702 seconds