Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Level Scripting » Empty Fable
Empty Fable [message #58073] Sun, 27 June 2010 00:17 Go to next message
Garagorn is currently offline  Garagorn
Well, I want to be able to test out a theory, but I can't do it with all those quests and all. I also need to rid the game of all enemies. So that I can easily test the theory.

Incase you want to know, my theory is that if you duplicate all of the levels in Fable, and then rename them in the cbox, you could in fact create a whole new set of areas. Which is pretty much just stating the obvious, but..... nobody seems to have tried it before so.....

EDIT: Nevermind, the copies don't even show up in the editor.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2010 00:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Empty Fable [message #58075 is a reply to message #58073] Sun, 27 June 2010 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Nope, that's been tried. It's been tried by those before me, though I could not find any written record of their journeys on it so I too tried and then found out that I was walking in their footprints the whole time. I have made countless efforts and finally realized why the veterans that had attempted this before me simply said "it can't be done". It requires an edit to the STB, and if you've ever looked at it, and I mean really examined it thoroughly up and down and inside out, you would understand why no one has produced new levels. It's just too damn hard. I will say, however, that new levels is possible. If you rename the STB so that the game doesn't use it (much like the WAD), you can copy/paste existing LEVs/TNGs, rename them as desired, define them in the WLD, edit the userst.ini to not use the BWD, and you have yourself a new map.

Then why don't we do this, almighty John of Doe?

Because the STB is the terrain, flora, water, the entire landscape. Without it, there is no ground. The STB can't be used with new maps because it has in it a list of maps to load data for, and if the game tries to load STB data for a map that the STB doesn't have listed, it crashes. And putting new map data in the STB is, as I've said, prohibitively difficult.

Garagorn wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 02:17

They need to be defined in the WLD.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2010 00:33]

Re: Empty Fable [message #58076 is a reply to message #58075] Sun, 27 June 2010 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garagorn is currently offline  Garagorn
JohnDoe wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 08:31

Nope, that's been tried. It's been tried by those before me, though I could not find any written record of their journeys on it so I too tried and then found out that I was walking in their footprints the whole time. I have made countless efforts and finally realized why the veterans that had attempted this before me simply said "it can't be done". It requires an edit to the STB, and if you've ever looked at it, and I mean really examined it thoroughly up and down and inside out, you would understand why no one has produced new levels. It's just too damn hard. I will say, however, that new levels is possible. If you rename the STB so that the game doesn't use it (much like the WAD), you can copy/paste existing LEVs/TNGs, rename them as desired, define them in the WLD, edit the userst.ini to not use the BWD, and you have yourself a new map.

Then why don't we do this, almighty John of Doe?

Because the STB is the terrain, flora, water, the entire landscape. Without it, there is no ground. The STB can't be used with new maps because it has in it a list of maps to load data for, and if the game tries to load STB data for a map that the STB doesn't have listed, it crashes. And putting new map data in the STB is, as I've said, prohibitively difficult.

Garagorn wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 02:17

They need to be defined in the WLD.

Dunno what you're talking about. I'm looking at it in FE and it's tiny. All it would take to make it recognize new maps is to type in a short bit of coding. I might get around to it later.

If I'm wrong tell me, but to me it looks plain simple.

EDIT 2: I take that back. There's more inside the small codes. Evil Lionhead. They don't even need that much coding. It's all just a massive password probably.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2010 00:44]

Re: Empty Fable [message #58077 is a reply to message #58076] Sun, 27 June 2010 01:02 Go to previous message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Garagorn wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 02:39

Dunno what you're talking about. I'm looking at it in FE and it's tiny. All it would take to make it recognize new maps is to type in a short bit of coding. I might get around to it later.

If I'm wrong tell me, but to me it looks plain simple.

EDIT 2: I take that back. There's more inside the small codes. Evil Lionhead. They don't even need that much coding. It's all just a massive password probably.
And I think you don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for wasting my time, discussion is closed.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2010 01:10]

Previous Topic: Barrel won't spawn
Next Topic: Spawning a Bed ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:35:33 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01213 seconds