Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Progression,
Progression, [message #59428] Mon, 20 September 2010 18:57 Go to next message
Barret is currently offline  Barret
Out of curiosity I came back to this site wondering if anyone here has actually progressed significantly in modding this game; compared to years back in 05.
Re: Progression, [message #59429 is a reply to message #59428] Mon, 20 September 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkONI is currently offline  DarkONI
Well in five years a lot was discovered and worked on, also many things changed. However, there still are things that need to be discovered.
Re: Progression, [message #59430 is a reply to message #59428] Mon, 20 September 2010 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Compared to 2005? Well, let's draw up how things were done then and compare with how things are done now.

In 2005, focus was on TNG, GTG and WLD editing, as that's what we were able to do. Advanced modding was considered to be anything that involves a series of complex scripts that worked together to create something. We* couldn't do definitions, we couldn't do textures, we couldn't do graphics, we couldn't do much of anything. But people did as much as they possibly could with what they had and that was cool.

In 2010, three eras of Fable modding have passed, we can do definitions (game.bin/script.bin), we can do textures of all but one type, we can do static, animated, and collision meshes. It's important to add that there is a lot that can be done with definitions, all kinds of things, it's the global database for the game. With a little skill and a little creativity, a lot of things can be done.

The current standard for "advanced" modding, sadly, is just atypical edits, anything that isn't just about tipping the balance of the game through weapon damages. But you could also throw in collision meshes, because those are tricky, and effects, and LEV (heightmap) edits, couple other things that I can't remember right now.

What we still can't do is new levels (STB), functional navdata (LEV), new quests which we'll never be able to do properly anyway, or cutscenes, and a couple other major things that slip my mind.

It's sad, really, we are capable of so, so much more than people here were able to do five, six years ago but we've lost the modding spirit and it's like people don't even care about the possibilities of really, really cool mods, they just want a powerful stick.

Edit: Forgot to put the fine print.

*Mysterious, powerful and dark forces were already at work hacking away at the definitions, so that one day the ultimate power to mod Fable would be revealed.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2010 03:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Progression, [message #59432 is a reply to message #59430] Tue, 21 September 2010 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JWDragair is currently offline  JWDragair
Yeah I agree. It seems as though the spirit for this game fizzled out and there aren't many modders that are seriously into trying to break the code anymore. There's still much to be learned from the source, but it takes time that people don't seem to be willing to spend anymore.

Fable 3 being on PC also probably doesn't help.
Re: Progression, [message #59435 is a reply to message #59432] Tue, 21 September 2010 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
JWDragair wrote on Tue, 21 September 2010 23:23

Fable 3 being on PC also probably doesn't help.
wut

Fable 3 coming out on PC is the best possible news for Fable modders. The only reason that nothing happened for Fable 2 was because there wasn't a PC release. We had a lot of the format specs for Fable 2 figured out years ago, and Keshire came back recently and added onto and refined that even more. That was the hard part... well, that and making tools, which would have come next if anyone felt it was worth doing.
Re: Progression, [message #59438 is a reply to message #59435] Wed, 22 September 2010 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JWDragair is currently offline  JWDragair
I meant meaning that everyone will be excited to dive in to fable 3 and work on that, and fable tlc is being left behind. Call me a classic gamer, but I think that the original deserves the most credit and should continue to be worked on til the very end.
Re: Progression, [message #59439 is a reply to message #59428] Wed, 22 September 2010 10:11 Go to previous message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Meh I don't really see a point to working on FableTLC anymore with it being so locked down. Without quests and levels all you can do is mess with assets and existing mechanics.

Everything that can be realistically and timely done has been done.

If Fable 3 is anything like fable 2 we'll have a bit more freedom.
There's still work that needs to be done with assets. But quests and mechanics are known and spec'd.

I recently spec'd the database files that Fable 2 uses. And finished the compiler/decompiler for the quest scripts. And we know they are going to be the same in Fable 3 with the exception of another LUA module in the engine.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2010 10:13]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: how to mod?????
Next Topic: Help me please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 00:05:42 PDT 2024