Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Polearm Discussion
Polearm Discussion [message #59538] Fri, 01 October 2010 16:49 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Polearms and spears would be awesome if we could set up a new weapon class that consisted mostly of thrusting moves.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59548 is a reply to message #59538] Sat, 02 October 2010 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charrzarr is currently offline  charrzarr
if you changed the polearm into something closer to an axe it wud work(might even be reasonable now with the long blade and not too long of a handle)

If all else fails, slap 'em with a fish.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59549 is a reply to message #59548] Sat, 02 October 2010 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
charrzarr wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 09:51

if you changed the polearm into something closer to an axe it wud work(might even be reasonable now with the long blade and not too long of a handle)
Stranger wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 18:49

Polearms and spears would be awesome if we could set up a new weapon class that consisted mostly of thrusting moves.
It would work as a sword class weapon, it would just look lame killing people with the blunt stick part of a spear type weapon.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59551 is a reply to message #59538] Sat, 02 October 2010 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Staff animations look alright with a polearm as long as it isn't too big.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59552 is a reply to message #59551] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
asmcint wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 14:20

Staff animations look alright with a polearm as long as it isn't too big.
Except the Hero doesn't have staff animations, and Whisper's staff animations are quite feminine, and even those are almost entirely made up of swings and not thrusts.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59554 is a reply to message #59552] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I know that, but not all polearms are meant for thrusting motions, though they do help out. My point was that using whisper's staff animations however feminine, a polearm of the right type would do well.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59557 is a reply to message #59554] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
asmcint wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 15:44

I know that, but not all polearms are meant for thrusting motions, though they do help out. My point was that using whisper's staff animations however feminine, a polearm of the right type would do well.
I don't think you understand quite how many varieties of polearms exist. Not all of them have a big blade or axe running down its length. My point is that thrusts would be the only proper way to go, unless there was a way to set up a different damage type and rating as well as a separate hit detection line for the blunt portion of the weapon (which there isn't).

With only one line of hit detection, with only one damage rating, with only one damage type, you can either have a nerf'd blade or a really strong blunt shaft, and neither of those options are any good. So, thrust moves bypass that because only the business end of the weapon does damage. And, because the Hero actually has thrust animations, he doesn't have to dance like a woman when he wants to kill something.

The problem then is figuring out how, if possible, to create a new weapon class that only uses these thrust animations. Silver once said it could be done, still trying to figure that one out though.

Also, moved posts regarding this to a new thread. I'd like to discuss this some more, but not at the expense of somebody's WIP thread.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59565 is a reply to message #59557] Sun, 03 October 2010 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Stranger wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 15:55

asmcint wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 15:44

I don't think you understand quite how many varieties of polearms exist. Not all of them have a big blade or axe running down its length. My point is that thrusts would be the only proper way to go, unless there was a way to set up a different damage type and rating as well as a separate hit detection line for the blunt portion of the weapon (which there isn't).

With only one line of hit detection, with only one damage rating, with only one damage type, you can either have a nerf'd blade or a really strong blunt shaft, and neither of those options are any good. So, thrust moves bypass that because only the business end of the weapon does damage. And, because the Hero actually has thrust animations, he doesn't have to dance like a woman when he wants to kill something.

The problem then is figuring out how, if possible, to create a new weapon class that only uses these thrust animations. Silver once said it could be done, still trying to figure that one out though.

Also, moved posts regarding this to a new thread. I'd like to discuss this some more, but not at the expense of somebody's WIP thread.

It's possible by editing the cappearancedef. Crazy lot of work though. Each move references an animation so it should be easy enough to identify the moves you want. The problem comes when you want to specify how and when to play the moves. I never did figure out what all the unknowns did within the attacks.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59585 is a reply to message #59565] Mon, 04 October 2010 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charrzarr is currently offline  charrzarr
here may be a problem: as far as i know(could be wrong) there is only one(maybe 2) thrust animation for the hero...wud look stupid repeating the same motion over and over

If all else fails, slap 'em with a fish.
Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59594 is a reply to message #59585] Tue, 05 October 2010 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I only know of one thrusting animation for him, and it's for one handed weapons only, used in both regular attacks and flourishes I think.

Re: Weapons of the "X" [message #59595 is a reply to message #59585] Tue, 05 October 2010 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
There are between five and ten appropriate animations, this much I know for sure from last time I was digging around the animations for my female hero mod. And there doesn't need to be many since spears only do one thing anyway.
RE: Polearm Discussion [message #59596 is a reply to message #59595] Tue, 05 October 2010 15:33 Go to previous message
lord_X
you only need the following types of animations to make attack structure...

1 - 2 thrust
2 swings (1 from the left, 1 form the right)
1 smash (down ward blow like with the huge swords flurry)

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes,
he who does not ask is a fool for live." - Confucius

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/knives_lordX/my_2D_art/ark_sig_x1.jpg
Previous Topic: Texture Showing up as Random Symbols
Next Topic: Weapon Modding - Multiple Issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:07:37 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01357 seconds