Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Current Quest Removal?
Current Quest Removal? [message #59636] Sat, 09 October 2010 07:51 Go to next message
dgianna
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for the past week or so, and have learned some of the rudimentary modding via FE, such as altering character appearance, inserting weapon/armor fmps, altering .tng script in notepad, etc.

The next big thing I'd like to do is be able to remove particular quests from the "current quest" log once they have been completed. The quests I'm thinking of are the temples, chicken kicking, the archery contest, and the fishing contest. Preferrably, I'd like them to be moved to "past quests," but this is not the priority.

Related to this is another glitch so to speak that would be nice to fix. The Hero Doll quest continues to initiate even after it has been completed once. I think it is because you can have more than one Thunder doll, and the dumb kid is triggered if you had an extra one in your inventory. Since you can only collect the other dolls via the bar games once, you are stuck with this quest if it initiates again. Is there a way to fix this, either by altering the quest, or making only one Thunder doll available in the game (i.e. remove it from trader inventory, and just plug one into a chest, the former being that which I don't know how to do).

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any help!
Re: Current Quest Removal? [message #59637 is a reply to message #59636] Sat, 09 October 2010 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
dgianna wrote on Sat, 09 October 2010 09:51

The quests I'm thinking of are the temples, chicken kicking, the archery contest, and the fishing contest.
Erm, well... I don't really think there's any way to clear those quests via modding. But you could try attacking the temple-goers and competition hosts. Even if you don't manage to kill them, they should run away and not come back (if I remember correctly). I don't know whether or not this will actually clear the quests, but I'd wager that's as close as you'll be able to get.

The Hero Doll quest continues to initiate even after it has been completed once. I think it is because you can have more than one Thunder doll, and the dumb kid is triggered if you had an extra one in your inventory. Since you can only collect the other dolls via the bar games once, you are stuck with this quest if it initiates again. Is there a way to fix this, either by altering the quest, or making only one Thunder doll available in the game (i.e. remove it from trader inventory, and just plug one into a chest, the former being that which I don't know how to do).
Cool. Never heard of that happening. Well, there's two dolls that can be found or purchased, those being Thunder and 'Doll of You' I think. It wouldn't be too hard to remove them from shopkeepers, but it will take a little more effort to find out where each of the other instances are.

Alternatively, kill the teacher. Wait, no that wouldn't do anything.
Re: Current Quest Removal? [message #59638 is a reply to message #59636] Sat, 09 October 2010 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgianna
Haven't tried that out yet...thanks for the idea.

I have messed around with the .qst file and see that bronze quests at least can be deleted in their entirety (the quest initiator is given a normal personality, though the green dot and green aura around the guy remains). So, alternatively, is there a way to remove the green dot & aura to complete the entire deletion?

(I'm quite OCD about quest completion lists, which is why I'm trying to come up with a way to show completion, or not have them at all.)
Re: Current Quest Removal? [message #59640 is a reply to message #59637] Sat, 09 October 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Stranger wrote on Sat, 09 October 2010 13:01

The quests I'm thinking of are the temples, chicken kicking, the archery contest, and the fishing contest.
Erm, well... I don't really think there's any way to clear those quests via modding. But you could try attacking the temple-goers and competition hosts. Even if you don't manage to kill them, they should run away and not come back
Unfortunately I have killed those guys and let them run away. They respawn. =/

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Current Quest Removal? [message #59643 is a reply to message #59640] Sat, 09 October 2010 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

The Doll Quest will only redo itself if you make the mistake of having a second Thunder doll in inventory after completing it the first time. I had that happen before. If you have more than one, sell the extras before letting the teacher give you the Jack doll.

In the past I have stopped some quests from starting by altering the FinalAlbion.qst file. I think what I did was delete the entire line concerning the quest in the "AddTestQuest" part. This is only necessary for the Chapel of Skorm Quest since it is the only automatic quest. The Fishing Quest won't activate as long as you don't go back to Fisher Creek and talk to the old man a second time. The Chicken Kickin Quest won't activate as long as you don't talk to the guy that runs it, I deleted him from the tng. The Archery Quest ends when you kill the guy, or at least never activates if you kill him before ever talking him. These ideas only work for a new profile, they won't fix the one you already have, but can help you avoid them if you play again.

Re: Current Quest Removal? [message #59649 is a reply to message #59636] Sat, 09 October 2010 19:38 Go to previous message
dgianna
Alright, so I've been working a bit more on this.

I have a test game right before the book collection quest. I went into the .qst file and deleted the book collection quest under both the Addquest and the Addtestquest. This removed the quest, but the teacher still remains green. I then went into the bowerstone slums .tng file, and deleted everything under the book collection section (section IV I believe). This removed the teacher's green dot and green aura, so that while the school teacher and kids are still in the right place (must be hardcoded), any indication of the book collecting quest was gone.

So for you other OCD people out there, this process should work to remove any quests (at least bronze quests) you want to kill for one reason or another, green dots and all.

I am going to try something similar with the hero dolls in a second, but I also noticed in the .qst file that the Addquest line is set to "TRUE". I'll try to set it to false like the others, and see if this keeps it from initiating more than once.

To be continued...

[Edit] For some reason, I can't seem to get the quest to reinitiate even on the TRUE setting now (go figure - it probably has something to do with me killing the book quest during the testing). But the hero doll quest obviously can also be deleted like the other and will just never initiate.

As for cleaning up the "current quest" tab without deleting quests and/or avoiding or killing certain people in game, I suppose I'll just wait to see if anyone can figure it out, if it is in fact possible...

[Updated on: Sat, 09 October 2010 20:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Unknown Def Notes
Next Topic: Few changes...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:16:25 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01136 seconds