Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tutorials » [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer  () 1 Vote
[General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #59662] Sun, 10 October 2010 19:12 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Primer for Vista Users
(Windows 7 inherits this issue.)

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
You need to be on an Administrator account to do this. If you're on a limited account, ask your parents/computer administrator.

About this thread:
Applies to Windows Vista and Windows 7 users. Users will need to take steps to being able to mod. This thread outlines these steps. This thread is not for you if you are using Windows XP or an earlier OS.

The issue:
Windows Vista and Windows 7 think that you're stupid, that you'll go crashing around system files and break everything. Sad thing is that it's a fair generalization of most people on computers. So Vista and 7 have built-in protections, rules and policies that keep people from doing these things. The bad thing is that it also keeps people from doing other things, like modding.

Rule of Vista

In Vista the rules are that if you don't have explicit (by requesting) elevated permissions to write to C:\Program Files, the system lets you think you are writing there but actually redirects (virtualizes) your writes elsewhere.

What this means:
If you've installed Fable in the default directory (Program Files), none of the modding tools will edit the actual game files, but will make a copy of them in the VirtualStore that the tools will use instead of the actual game files. Which essentially means that while it may look like mods work, none of your edits/mods will have any affect in the game.

How to solve this issue:

If you've already tried modding and failed.

If you've already tried modding and have experienced Vista-/Windows 7-related problems, the best, easiest and simplest thing to do is to uninstall the game, then delete the following directories:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters

Deleting saves is only necessary if a game save was made with mods applied. Even then, you can install the same mods and the saves will work. But if you want a clean start, you can delete this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Fable
After all traces of Fable are gone, reinstall Fable and then you can proceed with the following instructions.

Working with a clean install.

You need to take ownership of the game files before you can mod them. Click Start - Programs - Accessories - right-click Command Prompt|Run as administrator, click "Continue" at the UAC prompt, and type in:

takeown /f "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters" /r /d Y
And if you're one of those 'all due diligence' people, take ownership of whatever directory you're putting the tools in as well. It isn't necessary, but the procedure is the same in case you want to do that.

Important Notes (PLEASE READ!)

1. If you get a UAC prompt, always click "Continue".
  2. Whenever you run any of the tools or the game itself, right-click|Run as Administrator. Always. Or you can change the program properties to run as admin automatically, that's mentioned in the next note.
  3. It is highly recommended to set the compatibility mode of the modding tools to "Windows XP SP3". Right-click the program icons (not shortcuts!) and click Properties. From there, switch to the compatibility tab, then check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP SP3" from the dropdown box. While you're there, you may want to change the Privilege Level to run the program as administrator automatically. Click Apply, OK, and the settings will be saved.
  4. This is actually an unrelated issue but also pertains to Vista and Windows 7. Some users may experience problems with DEP and UAC. It is not recommended to disable these, but it is possible to do so if they cause problems. If you're not experiencing problems, please don't mess with these.
    To disable DEP

Right-click My Computer (or click Start and right-click Computer) and then click Properties. Click Advanced system settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Under Performance, click Settings. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. To turn off DEP for an individual program, select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK. If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file name extension), and then click Open. Click OK, click OK in the System Properties dialog box if it appears, and then click OK again. You might need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
    To disable UAC

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. In Control Panel, click User Accounts. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off. If UAC is currently configured in Admin Approval Mode, the User Account Control message appears. Click Continue. Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box, and then click OK. Click Restart Now to apply the change right away, or click Restart Later and close the User Accounts tasks window.
    If you disable DEP/UAC, please enable them again when you are done doing whatever it is for which you turned them off.

Other Threads of Interest:
These were written by Noctus. I don't have Vista and so cannot give any more information on it, but he does have Vista and mods on Vista without a problem, he knows more about it than I do, so please be so good as to read what Vista materials he's been so kind to put together:
TUTORIAL: How To Use FreeRoam On Vista!
Chest Spawning In Vista - Tutorial
[General] Modding on Vista - The Basics

I've been meaning to rewrite my old guide for as long as I can remember. Speaking of that, you may want to check out my previous thread in case you don't like this one, here.

Links:
Hey, if you don't like my advice, don't trust my advice, or can't understand my advice, go to the source.
Vista issue (Simple)
Vista issue (Advanced)
Taking Ownership
Compatability Mode
Disable DEP
Disable UAC

One last thing:
This thread gives the safest methods for people who know nothing about the subject. If you know a different way to do these things, that's fine and good for you, but this guide does not apply to you. Just remember that it still applies to others.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 December 2013 19:05] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #61985 is a reply to message #59662] Tue, 29 March 2011 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasabii is currently offline  wasabii
im using windows 7 and i followed this exactly
when i try to play with chests and stuff in chocolatebox and try to run the game, but the game doesnt run, im probably missing something, is it chocolatebox? should i use albion explorer?
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #61986 is a reply to message #61985] Tue, 29 March 2011 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
wasabii wrote on Tue, 29 March 2011 21:30

im using windows 7 and i followed this exactly
when i try to play with chests and stuff in chocolatebox and try to run the game, but the game doesnt run, im probably missing something, is it chocolatebox? should i use albion explorer?
I don't know because you don't say what you did or anything else. But if you followed these steps exactly then having Vista/Windows 7 is not your problem and you should post in a different thread.
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #63342 is a reply to message #59662] Fri, 10 June 2011 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyscifi is currently offline  tyscifi
dude, dont triple post, or necropost, it might be ok considering this is a tut but i am not sure

"Smoke Meth, Hail Satan."
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #63346 is a reply to message #63342] Fri, 10 June 2011 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

And as for the splash.exe thing, that's unimportant, just click ok and it will go away.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #64069 is a reply to message #59662] Tue, 19 July 2011 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rayden is currently offline  Rayden
Okay so i did what you said but it can't find the file. do you have any idea why? i'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in
then i'm sorry but i don't know where to post it.
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #64070 is a reply to message #64069] Tue, 19 July 2011 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Rayden wrote on Tue, 19 July 2011 18:21

Okay so i did what you said
I said a lot of things. Be specific.
Rayden wrote on Tue, 19 July 2011 18:21

it can't find the file.
There are a lot of files. Be specific.

I don't know if your post is in the right thread either because I don't know what you're talking about, and obviously I have no idea how to help for the same reason.
Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #64073 is a reply to message #64070] Tue, 19 July 2011 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rayden is currently offline  Rayden
never mind i solved the problem it's not in Program Files it's in Program Files (x86) on windows 7 don't ask why it just is on windows 7. also i'm sorry about calling you a jerk and also for being such a greenhorn. wanna be friends?

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2011 17:51]

Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #66636 is a reply to message #64073] Sun, 06 May 2012 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sativarg is currently offline  Sativarg
This is probably one of the most important threads for beginning modders here. I should have read this instead of assuming I knew all about it. I did not and went ahead and made stupid mistakes and unnecessary posts.

Any way I found this registry tweak for any one who wants to automate Takeown with a context menu option.

Take Ownership Right-click option

Here is a link to get the reg file that will setup the menu item when merged
Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

I hope my input does not contradict the statement below...
"JohnDoe"

One last thing:
This thread gives the safest methods for people who know nothing about the subject. If you know a different way to do these things, that's fine and good for you, but this guide does not apply to you. Just remember that it still applies to others.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 May 2012 09:39]

Re: [General] Vista/Windows 7 Primer [message #67342 is a reply to message #66636] Mon, 24 September 2012 14:42 Go to previous message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
Sativarg wrote on Sun, 06 May 2012 09:34

I hope my input does not contradict the statement below...

I would hope that it'd be okay. The person who wrote the guide admits he didn't have Vista, surely some updated information with easier methods are good to have too.
Previous Topic: Merging Regions
Next Topic: Tutorial Requests
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:43:51 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01122 seconds