Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Is Total Conversion Possible?
Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59775] Mon, 18 October 2010 10:21 Go to next message
Reece is currently offline  Reece

Is It possible to completely 'Map Clean' Fable TLC and start from scratch with new map/landscape models & new characters & custom quests ( It seems that new animations arn't possible, which seems odd but im guessing that the original bones can stay with a new mesh?)

I only ask because there seem to be a lot of weapon character swap and building mods but I havent seen 1 landscape mod, so before I get stuck in I'd rather ask.

I've been working on a Map environment for a while now and I think fable tlc would be a really good fit for it.
Re: Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59776 is a reply to message #59775] Mon, 18 October 2010 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Reece wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 12:21

and start from scratch with new map/landscape models & new characters & custom quests
Prohibitively difficult.

( It seems that new animations arn't possible, which seems odd but im guessing that the original bones can stay with a new mesh?)
New animations are actually possible, we just can't edit them to any great extent. We can rename bones that move, we can rename effects that are to be spawned, we can rename helpers where effects are supposed to be spawned, and that's about it. Which is still cool.

But you're right, we could do the new mesh thing over the same bones. And if you're smart and clever, you can think of new ways of using animations to do different things. A crap example being windmill = helicopter.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2010 10:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59777 is a reply to message #59776] Mon, 18 October 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stranger wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 18:33

and start from scratch with new map/landscape models & new characters & custom quests
Prohibitively difficult.

Could you elaborate? I just want to know if its possible, Im not interested in Fable modding if I cant change the landscape
Re: Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59778 is a reply to message #59777] Mon, 18 October 2010 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Reece wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 12:46

Could you elaborate? I just want to know if its possible, Im not interested in Fable modding if I cant change the landscape
Such edits would best be done on new maps and that requires an STB edit. Landscape requires STB edits. While it is strictly possible, there is no editor. There's not even a public viewer. There's no tool that you could use to help, it's all proprietary so you can't exactly import a map from 3DS or anything like that. So anything you'd do would have to be done by hand. But that's just the STB LEV and STATIC_MAP_COMMON_HEADER.

Then there's the WAD LEV. Because of how navdata works, you'd really only want to extensively edit maps where NPCs don't need to walk around, and we have no complete and proper navdata tool. The heightmap would have to be adjusted at every point to line up with the landscape, because Fable sucks like that. Again, no tool.

After that it's easy, but no one's gotten to the "after that" part.

And core quest scripts are hardcoded and so, again, while being strictly possible, is prohibitively difficult to do anything with.
Re: Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59779 is a reply to message #59775] Mon, 18 October 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... oh well, heres hoping Fable3 will be extensively moddable Smile
Re: Is Total Conversion Possible? [message #59785 is a reply to message #59779] Mon, 18 October 2010 16:34 Go to previous message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

And here's to hoping someone cracks the stb in full and makes it fully and easily editable. Until then in this era of fable modding, it's a brick wall of difficulties and cancelled mods.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Previous Topic: Weapon Modding - Multiple Issues
Next Topic: DIFFICULTY settings!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:57:03 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01031 seconds