Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Fable Explorer Problem
Fable Explorer Problem [message #60781] Sat, 18 December 2010 20:48 Go to next message
mikalshorti is currently offline  mikalshorti
why is it that i must have so many problems with modding fable?...

anyway, i downloaded and installed FE but when i try to open it it this happens and nothing else

and it just stays this way until i quit it

i cant click any of the options (File, Options, Actions, Minimise, Restore, Quit...) the only way i can get out of it is it to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete --> task manager --> end task. can anyone help me? im completely stumped...

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 23:02] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60782 is a reply to message #60781] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scythe of Blades is currently offline  Scythe of Blades
http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=57122& amp;&srch=fable+explorer#msg_57122

check this thread and the links in it, maybe that will help

I envy because of the heart,
I glutton because of the heart,
I covet because of the heart,
I am prideful because of the heart,
I sloth because of the heart,
I rage because of the heart,
Because of the heart
I lust for everything about you
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60783 is a reply to message #60781] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wish that would help but i definitely have the requirements and im not a vista user but the same thing happens... Sad
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60784 is a reply to message #60783] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lets do a process of elimination then

1. do you have fable the lost chapters installed? and it has to be the lost chapters version.

2. do you keep the game files on a seperate driver?

3. did you download the def.xml and put it in the same folder as fable explorer?

4. does an error box pop up behind the fable tlc logo? to check just point your mouse behind the logo and click and drag, try it in more than one spot behind the logo.

If I had to guess id say its the fourth one, as that happens alot, if you find a box there let me know what it says.

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 21:19]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60785 is a reply to message #60781] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its that im using a portable version of fable tlc... so technically it isnt installed... and no i dont seem to be getting an error message... and i didnt know i had to download the def.xml
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60786 is a reply to message #60783] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
The files are either missing or locked up. You are getting an error message behind the splash image though.

Few things. First, make sure you're not running anything else that's using the tools. FreeRoam, ChocolateBox, Fable, or another instance of FableExplorer. Make sure you don't have any of the files opened by anything else, such as a hex editor (I do this all the time).

Second thing, make sure you have Fable installed (that's a given). Make sure your registry SetupPath is correct (it is as long as you haven't touched it or moved any of the Fable files).

Edit: This is what I get for taking so long to reply.
mikalshorti wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 23:22

maybe its that im using a portable version of fable tlc... so technically it isnt installed... and no i dont seem to be getting an error message... and i didnt know i had to download the def.xml
Get the def.xml. That won't fix the problem but you'll still need def.xml.

You need the registry to show that Fable is installed and it needs to say where it's installed. So... you'll have to manually make the registry edits.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 21:29]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60787 is a reply to message #60786] Sat, 18 December 2010 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing is, im using a portable version of the game, made at codearmor.com and it isnt actually installed to my computer because, even though i do have the disks to install it, but if i install it via the disks it doesnt work... (stupid school computer, so the my docs folder is forwarded to a remote server and the game cant accesss certain files properly...) so assuming that it still works with portable versions, what should the default path be for FE to work?

EDIT - i'll download the def.xml and see if anything happens but where should i put it in my files?

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 21:34]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60788 is a reply to message #60787] Sat, 18 December 2010 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its not actually installed on the comp your using, then dont bother, it wont work. def.xml goes in the same folder as fable explorer.exe

Because of the heart
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60789 is a reply to message #60788] Sat, 18 December 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn...
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60790 is a reply to message #60788] Sat, 18 December 2010 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 00:21

if its not actually installed on the comp your using, then dont bother, it wont work. def.xml goes in the same folder as fable explorer.exe
It will work as long as the files are there. Though a quick note, if you've got it on USB, modding and even playing the game will be deathly slow. Well, compiling the archives and loading the game will be slow, but yea.

You have to create the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Fable\1.0

In that key, you'll need the following REG_SZ value:
SetupPath

And the data for that value is going to be the directory of where the Fable.exe is, for example:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters\

And a reference image of what's what can be found here. It's been edited because the contents of my registry, taskbar, and my local time is none of your business.

Edit: Few important notes, as always. You need privileges to edit the registry, if you can't do that then you're screwed. Also (if you can edit the registry) make sure that the directory ends with the slash '\' because if it doesn't, it won't work.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 22:45]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60791 is a reply to message #60790] Sat, 18 December 2010 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha yeah fair enough... so i have to edit the registry?

edit - i dont have full priviledges but i have enough to regedit.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 22:47]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60792 is a reply to message #60791] Sat, 18 December 2010 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg omg omg, it works! thanks so much for your help guys ^_^

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT - whoops sorry for the double post...

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 23:03]

Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60793 is a reply to message #60792] Sat, 18 December 2010 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Yes, I know, I'm awesome. You're welcome. And a reminder: Finish your school work before playing games.
Re: Fable Explorer Problem [message #60794 is a reply to message #60793] Sat, 18 December 2010 23:04 Go to previous message
yeah you are awesome. and dont worry, im on holidays until february Very Happy
Previous Topic: FreeRoam.exe ??
Next Topic: loading weapons modded PROBLEM HELP!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:35:52 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01294 seconds