Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Fable Explorer on Windows 7
Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65470] Tue, 20 December 2011 12:47 Go to next message
LimblessNick is currently offline  LimblessNick
When I try to run Fable explorer, I get just get "Fable Explorer has stopped working"

I downloaded this installer here: http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1330& ;amp ;start=0&

I also tried this download: http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1344& ;amp ;amp ;start=0&

and when I run FableExplorer.exe, I get this error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. From :as FableExplorer.frmMain.Main()"

I search these forums, but couldn't find an answer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have .NET framework 4.0, Direct X11 and MSVC++ 2005 (as well as 2008, and 2010)

Also, My game is not installed in the default path. It is the steam version, and is in K:\Steam\steamapps\common\fable the lost chapters, while FE is in K:\fable modding

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2011 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65482 is a reply to message #65470] Thu, 22 December 2011 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
InternetSavior is currently offline  InternetSavior
I have your answer. In fact, I have the answer to a question that's probably been plaguing many people regarding this error. I don't know if you're using the Steam version of Fable or not, but I received the same error when attempting to use the explorers and I have the Steam version. The problem is this:

The explorers are set by default to look for your Fable game files in a certain place. There is no configuration file with the regular Fable Explorer to change this. However, there is one with the Shadownet version available on the forum here. In the config file for the explorer (config.xml), change the following lines of code:

<useregistry>TRUE</useregistry>

Change this to FALSE.

<InstallDirectory>Longfilepathhere</InstallDirectory>

Replace this with the location of your Fable game files. For me, this was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fable the lost chapters\

And BOOM! It runs. Don't worry about fiddling with the registry path. I did initially only to find that even the Steam version creates the same registry path entry as the non-Steam version under Microsoft\\Microsoft Games

Now I haven't actually modded anything into the game with the explorer, but everything loads up fine. I'll update once I've popped something into the game successfully.

UPDATE: Just used the ShadowNet version to remove all my scars and it worked!

[Updated on: Thu, 22 December 2011 22:17]

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65483 is a reply to message #65470] Fri, 23 December 2011 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, you are a genius, that was the issue!

Now I seem to be having an issue where it stays showing just the splash screen, and I can't do anything. I believe I read something about an error message being hidden behind the splash page. I am going to look to see if I can fix this issue now.

EDIT: Disregard that part about the error, it is working now. I didn't type a "\" at the end of my path in the .xml

Thanks, you truly are an internet savior!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 December 2011 11:09]

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65503 is a reply to message #65470] Sat, 24 December 2011 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youchasechickens is currently offline  youchasechickens
Hello InternetSavior, I've been trying to find some info on a Fabel TLC steam version. I have the same problem as the OP, however I am at the config.xml and cannot change the Use Registry portion or anything for that matter. I can't delete the text to say "YES". How would I go about changing this?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65506 is a reply to message #65503] Sun, 25 December 2011 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zyreq is currently offline  Zyreq
youchasechickens wrote on Sat, 24 December 2011 21:36

Hello InternetSavior, I've been trying to find some info on a Fabel TLC steam version. I have the same problem as the OP, however I am at the config.xml and cannot change the Use Registry portion or anything for that matter. I can't delete the text to say "YES". How would I go about changing this?

Scroll down, you're almost there, it's a bit hard to find.

No, no word of a lie, never' a lie, seventeen cows I stopped 'em with moi.. one 'and.
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65509 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

You could always just right click and run as administrator.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65510 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@noctus

Not sure what you mean by just scrolling down... I looked up the file "config.xml" and its letting me view it but not allowing me to change anything.

@Zyreq

Running as administrator just gives me this message:

Object reference not set toa an instance of an object

I'm using a WinRAR to see the files. I know I am repeating myself but how do I change the code?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65511 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never mind, I just found out I can send it to notepad. Thanks for the help though.
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65512 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err, when I try to save it through notepad it says Access Denied. How do I bypass this?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65516 is a reply to message #65512] Sun, 25 December 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

youchasechickens wrote on Sun, 25 December 2011 09:30

Err, when I try to save it through notepad it says Access Denied. How do I bypass this?

Either move the file from Program Files and edit that file and paste it back, or run notepad as administrator.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65517 is a reply to message #65510] Sun, 25 December 2011 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youchasechickens wrote on Sun, 25 December 2011 12:16

@noctus

I'm using a WinRAR to see the files. I know I am repeating myself but how do I change the code?

Did you actually extract the files, or are you just looking at them in winRAR?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65520 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oddly enough, all I had to do was open the config.xml on notepad (running as administrator) to change the code. At last it finaly worked however I have come across another problem.

When I try to load an fmp file it gives me an Error Loading FMP: Object reference not set to an instance of object.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65522 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Any fmp file? Try one you know should work.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65524 is a reply to message #65522] Sun, 25 December 2011 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm silly question what exactly would work? lol
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65525 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

These work.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65527 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bastard swords did not work. Here's what I did- opened Firefox to download the BastardSwords.fmp, saved it, dragged it to the Open window of Fable Explorer, and pressed open. Same result as the other fmps.

What could be the issue?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65528 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Don't drag it into the window. File / Load Fable Mod Package, find the file.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65529 is a reply to message #65528] Sun, 25 December 2011 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw does the thumbnail of the fmp look like a blank sheet of paper? And I heard another member talk about needing to download through Firefox (is this really necessary?)

I'll let you know what happens.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65530 is a reply to message #65529] Sun, 25 December 2011 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

youchasechickens wrote on Sun, 25 December 2011 20:07

btw does the thumbnail of the fmp look like a blank sheet of paper?
Yes, that means it doesn't have an installed program assigned to the filetype. Don't worry about that, just load it in the way I said.
youchasechickens wrote on Sun, 25 December 2011 20:07

And I heard another member talk about needing to download through Firefox (is this really necessary?)
Was the .zip you downloaded empty? If not, no, the download worked and Firefox won't be necessary.

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65531 is a reply to message #65530] Sun, 25 December 2011 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope didn't work. I did this in the following order: File download asks me to save, I save to my Tattoo files (don't ask why lol), Then clicked File (on Fable Explorer), Load Fable Mod Package, and then found the file and clicked open. Same result.

btw what do you mean about the .zip being empty?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65532 is a reply to message #65470] Sun, 25 December 2011 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zyreq is currently offline  Zyreq
Now that we are on this subject, has anyone gotten the steam version to run FreeRoam? It works for me but i get a runtime error crash in certain levels such as demon doors, Oakvale, and other various maps. Also, chocolatebox and AE doesn't work because the steam version creates a different registry(Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Fable TLC) than the original non-steam version(Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Fable\1.0). If you edit the chocolatebox.ini original registry location to steam's current registry you get "External component has thrown an exception." But on the other hand, if you leave the original registry location alone you get "System.NullReferenceException:Object reference not set to an instance
of an object.
at ChocolateBox.Settings.Load()
at ChocolateBox.FormMain.FormMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs
e)"

No, no word of a lie, never' a lie, seventeen cows I stopped 'em with moi.. one 'and.
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65545 is a reply to message #65532] Thu, 29 December 2011 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FuzzyLogic is currently offline  FuzzyLogic
Hey, good thing this topic is active, as I have the exact same problem! Very Happy Downloaded three "non-profanity" versions of Fable Explorer before finally getting the shadownet version which lets you edit where the game is installed. Every single FMP I try to load gives me the object reference error. Awesome.

Nobody knows what that error means, it seems, which is just...ugh. Who made this thing? Don't they know? Is there no other way to install fmp files?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 December 2011 08:55] by Moderator

Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65564 is a reply to message #65470] Tue, 03 January 2012 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FuzzyLogic is currently offline  FuzzyLogic
So. Nobody has any idea, then? That's greeeeeeaaaaaaat.
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #65566 is a reply to message #65564] Tue, 03 January 2012 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkONI is currently offline  DarkONI
FuzzyLogic wrote on Tue, 03 January 2012 22:17

So. Nobody has any idea, then? That's greeeeeeaaaaaaat.

I'm mainly a Windows 7 64bit FE user. Just follow the tutorials and use the main FE release and you should be fine. It has been countless times that people skip certain pieces from the tutorials or guides and result in such incidents.
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #67720 is a reply to message #65566] Thu, 20 December 2012 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milk is currently offline  Milk
Can we get a link?
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #68287 is a reply to message #65470] Sat, 18 May 2013 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yangfeng is currently offline  yangfeng

Now I seem to be having an issue where it stays showing just the splash screen, and I can't do anything. I believe I read something about an error message being hidden behind the splash page. I am going to look to see if I can fix this issue now.

____________________________________________________________ _______
"Do you know those times when you've been put through so much pain you couldn't bear it? Well, that's reality for you."

I have been a FunForFreedom survivor since 7/2/12!
Diablo 3 Gold
Buy Runescape Gold
Buy RS Gold
Supporting Leon X Zara! <3
I have a blog!
Re: Fable Explorer on Windows 7 [message #68294 is a reply to message #68287] Sat, 18 May 2013 09:22 Go to previous message
Sparrow
Please don't necropost. If you have a question, make a new topic in general mod discussion if you want someone to actually answer. You can hold alt and press tab multiple times to switch windows.

Are you shpongled?
Previous Topic: FreeRoam error
Next Topic: Could I use a game pad for Fable TLC on PC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:40:11 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01356 seconds