Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Hello World.
Hello World. [message #66233] Wed, 28 March 2012 17:51 Go to next message
xenn is currently offline  xenn
I'm new here.

Call me xenn.

I'd like to mod Fable:TLC, but I'm uninterested in modding the usual things.
Perhaps some form of hex-editing ?
Seems like everything's been done already though.

There're certainly some really great tools around here.
I just installed the "Application Suite", and I'm having a look around each of the included apps.

I came across a couple posts that have outlined what is and isn't possible, but I've lost track of them now.

Is there anything in particular that hasn't been done yet, that anyone would like to see made ?

It's doubtful I could make it, but it'll give me something to work towards.

Also, I haven't beaten TLC in years.
I've lost my save file since, so I'm going to have to play through it again.

Cheers.
Re: Hello World. [message #66234 is a reply to message #66233] Wed, 28 March 2012 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

Do a new character model, it's possible and has not yet been accomplished.

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Hello World. [message #66236 is a reply to message #66233] Wed, 28 March 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

I'd very much like to see a proportionate character model, I wish you luck.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Hello World. [message #66239 is a reply to message #66234] Thu, 29 March 2012 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Wed, 28 March 2012 22:35

Do you mean model one from scratch - an original creation - or just get a model for the character that doesn't exist in the game, into the game, even if it's a port ?

Noctus wrote on Thu, 29 March 2012 00:23

Proportional to what ?

Proportional to the original character ?
Proportional to reality-based expectations ?

Also, who was BlueTooth, and why can't I find his member account ?

Also, also, who's JohnDoe, and how far along did he get with the STB.
Is there anyone who's made more progress than he has ?

Re: Hello World. [message #66240 is a reply to message #66239] Thu, 29 March 2012 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

xenn wrote on Thu, 29 March 2012 08:40

morerunes wrote on Wed, 28 March 2012 22:35

Do you mean model one from scratch - an original creation - or just get a model for the character that doesn't exist in the game, into the game, even if it's a port ?

I think it doesn't really matter as long as it has the right bones.

Noctus wrote on Thu, 29 March 2012 00:23

Quote:

Proportional to what ?

Proportional to the original character ?
Proportional to reality-based expectations ?

Proportional to reality based expectations probably. The hero has hands the size of melons for Christ's sake.

Quote:

Also, who was BlueTooth, and why can't I find his member account ?

Bluetooth is Keshire.

Quote:

Also, also, who's JohnDoe, and how far along did he get with the STB.
Is there anyone who's made more progress than he has ?

Johndoe's an admin on here. I don't think he got very far with the STB, but I doubt anyone got farther on their own.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Hello World. [message #66241 is a reply to message #66233] Thu, 29 March 2012 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

Proportional to reality-based expectations, but within reason since getting it truly proportional would require a lot of tinkering.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Hello World. [message #66244 is a reply to message #66239] Thu, 29 March 2012 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

To clarify what I meant, nobody has ported/modeled any new character models for Fable. I think it would be pretty cool to see it done, even if it's ported from something else (fable 3?)

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Hello World. [message #66283 is a reply to message #66233] Fri, 13 April 2012 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure is quiet in here.

Does anyone still idle on the IRC channel(s), if they're still up ?

Anyway, I'll "do a new character model" in, oh, seven months or so.
Expect it.

For now, I'm working on a simple mod that stops the combat multiplier from decreasing when hit, when changing areas, and from timing out (basically the 'grace timer' - the amount of time you have between landed hits - is infinite).
It will/does reset if you reload your save file though. I think.
Certainly if you restart the game.

If anyone cares, I'll post it in within a week.

Any requests for mods along those kinds of lines - like that sort of thing ?
Re: Hello World. [message #66284 is a reply to message #66283] Fri, 13 April 2012 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

xenn wrote on Fri, 13 April 2012 08:23

Any requests for mods along those kinds of lines - like that sort of thing ?

I would like a mod that turns the multiplier off if you get time. I want to have to work harder for experience points.

Re: Hello World. [message #66285 is a reply to message #66284] Fri, 13 April 2012 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure - disabling stuff is generally easy.
It's adding features that's challenging Razz

Do you use the No-CD crack ?
Or original EXE ?
Cracked image ?
Re: Hello World. [message #66286 is a reply to message #66285] Fri, 13 April 2012 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

I use No-CD, I do have the disks of course. I use FE for most modding, cbox is great, I just prefer FE.

Re: Hello World. [message #66287 is a reply to message #66286] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Plus, most people here use FE, and FE can't read cbox fmp files.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Hello World. [message #66288 is a reply to message #66286] Fri, 13 April 2012 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 wrote on Fri, 13 April 2012 13:40

I use No-CD, I do have the disks of course. I use FE for most modding, cbox is great, I just prefer FE.

You'll be getting a PM soon with the link.

Lemme know if it works.
I haven't tested it much.
Re: Hello World. [message #66289 is a reply to message #66288] Fri, 13 April 2012 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Why didn't you make an fmp? Replacing the exe seems odd.

Re: Hello World. [message #66290 is a reply to message #66289] Fri, 13 April 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Maybe he somehow edited the exe to do the same thing? Shocked I don't think so, but it's still a remote possibility. Confused

Re: Hello World. [message #66291 is a reply to message #66289] Fri, 13 April 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 wrote on Fri, 13 April 2012 20:40

Why didn't you make an fmp? Replacing the exe seems odd.

I have no idea what an FMP is.

I assume it stands for "Fable Mod Pack(age)" or something ?

Despite my ignorance though, I have this presupposition that FMPs aren't capable of modifying any functions/code in the EXE that don't already look for data in external files (i.e.: the .BIG files, or .BIN files).

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

At any rate, if you're skeptical about the 'health' of it, you can open both the original & modified EXEs in a hex editor, use the compare two files feature, and see that literally only one byte needed to be changed, to fulfill your request - hence, "quick & dirty" Razz

EDIT : "Maybe he somehow edited the exe to do the same thing? I don't think so, but it's still a remote possibility. "

Yes.
That's what I'm most accustomed to.

Also, jwc2200, I'd rather you didn't make the mod request public.
You're more than welcome to share it freely with whoever you'd like, that may request it from you though.

I only like to publicly post mods that are thoroughly tested, or noteworthy.
Like I mentioned, I did test it and it seemed to work, but I didn't, for example, play through the whole game with it, or examine if any other experience-related values change in some way they shouldn't.

I'll rely on you to report any bugs you might notice, and I'll fix them accordingly Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 13 April 2012 18:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hello World. [message #66302 is a reply to message #66291] Sat, 14 April 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okay dude, an FMP is a Fable Mod Package. You create them through Fable Explorer. If there's a means of disabling the combat multiplier through the exe though, I doubt you could do it through the game.bin.
Since you disabled things through the exe, do you have any means of writing a tool for easy editing of it? Seriously, if you can find that sort of thing in the exe that quickly, we have a modding prodigy on our hands.

Re: Hello World. [message #66310 is a reply to message #66291] Sat, 14 April 2012 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Modding tool A : http://www.cheatengine.org
Modding tool B : http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Those two tools are all I (or all others, really) need for 'modding' the EXE.

Editing it is about as easy as writing over some hex values, and saving.
It's finding what to change that's the challenge.
But! That's a bit of an art, and a fun one at that.

If there's some particular chunk of (non-code) data contained within the EXE that you'd like a tool to more easily edit, I could possibly make one. However, for just modifying the code, CE + HxD is sufficient - and plenty.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2012 22:36]

Re: Hello World. [message #66313 is a reply to message #66310] Sun, 15 April 2012 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I see... Well still, I think Keshire was the last person to actually make a decent .exe edit, and he eventually gave up on cracking it. Who knows, maybe you can pick up where he left off. Shocked

Re: Hello World. [message #66314 is a reply to message #66313] Sun, 15 April 2012 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean by cracking it ?
It's already been cracked Razz

If by 'crack it' you mean gain some all-encompassing understanding of what each function does ?
That's possible, but impractical.

Or do you perhaps mean to generate some compile-able source code from it ?
Again, possible ... just not terribly purposeful - certainly not as efficient as only looking into, and editing, what you need, as you want to change it.

Or do you mean something else ?

[Updated on: Sun, 15 April 2012 06:12]

Re: Hello World. [message #66315 is a reply to message #66314] Sun, 15 April 2012 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I mean finding out what a lot of the stuff does and how it works so that someone can write a semi user-friendly tool that could edit the exe without having to know any form of coding and that could create packages that when applied patch the exe to do what they want done, as opposed to having to replace the entire exe for one simple edit. Confused
Kinda like FE for the exe. Embarassed

[Updated on: Sun, 15 April 2012 07:14]

Re: Hello World. [message #66316 is a reply to message #66315] Sun, 15 April 2012 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can probably make a mod-package mod.
Something that gets the EXE to read in code changes from an external file (I'd been thinking about the possibility some week or two ago).

I don't know if I'm quite willing enough yet to put in all the effort that'd be required to make a user-friendly interface for changes though.

The thing about the EXE,I think, is that there is not necessarily any real "template" for data structures.
There aren't necessarily well-defined formats, because much of the data in there is code, or constants.
And code, unlike files with well-defined formats, has to be considered on a per-function basis.

Or something like that.

Anyway, I'll see about it.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 April 2012 10:11]

Re: Hello World. [message #66317 is a reply to message #66316] Sun, 15 April 2012 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

xenn wrote on Sun, 15 April 2012 13:11

There aren't necessarily well-defined formats

Makes sense. Lionhead can't organize worth a can of re-re-re-re-re-re-fried beans. If they'd learn how to do that, maybe they could make a better game and quit wasting file formats.

Re: Hello World. [message #66474 is a reply to message #66316] Wed, 25 April 2012 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EternalNoob
xenn wrote on Sun, 15 April 2012 10:11

Something that gets the EXE to read in code changes from an external file (I'd been thinking about the possibility some week or two ago).

DLL injection is the way to go, it's what I'm working on, I already have everything ready to go, I just need to find the .exe stuff, which I've been decoding for the last couple of days. (There are many benefits to using DLL injection over .exe modification.)

What I do, is create an .ini file, create options, and let the user pick what hacks to use, then hook\modify the code on the fly as needed. (A GUI could easily be created to modify these options, but a .txt editor is sufficient.)

The format is similar to this..

[Combat Settings]
Disable_Combat_Multipliers=false

Anyways, PM me your finds, like your disable combat multipliers patch, etc,. I'll put them to good use, I can make it an option in the first release of my DLL, and, you'll be credited for anything you find. Very Happy

(I'm working on decoding functions, and classes using the RTTI data, and it's very slow work, so it would be great to have someone working this angle, finding more practical things, it would also help in the overall decoding process, by filling in some blanks, giving me a better idea what certain functions are doing, etc,.)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2012 07:32]

Re: Hello World. [message #66475 is a reply to message #66474] Wed, 25 April 2012 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Holy shit. I think we might have the next Hunter and Baystone on our hands. I don't think anyone has gotten to the point y'all have so far with the exe. Keshire might have, I know he used it to up the bodyguard limit as a test, but other than that... just... wow.

Re: Hello World. [message #66476 is a reply to message #66475] Wed, 25 April 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EternalNoob
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up with my project, so I'm not making any kind of thread for it yet, or anything like that. (Though, I am documenting my more interesting finds in the advanced modding section.)

This is my first attempt at reversing class data, and it's not an easy task, and it's almost impossible to find info on doing this online. (Or anyone willing to share that info, and Google isn't being my friend...)

On a positive note, I have done DLL injection, simple function hooking, and code patching before, so, it's not all bad news, there is hope that something good will come of this. Smile

---

I could really use help though, just decoding the .exe is a massive project, maintaining another project on top of that actually hacking the game is also a big project.

I've done that before, and it's very stressful, dealing with end users(HELPZ, IT DON'TZ WERKZ!!), and doing all that other work, etc,. Sad

So, if anyone has the skills, please feel free to chip in.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2012 09:11]

Re: Hello World. [message #66477 is a reply to message #66474] Wed, 25 April 2012 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EternalNoob wrote on Wed, 25 April 2012 09:58

xenn wrote on Sun, 15 April 2012 10:11

DLL injection is the way to go, it's what I'm working on, I already have everything ready to go, I just need to find the .exe stuff, which I've been decoding for the last couple of days. (There are many benefits to using DLL injection over .exe modification.)

What I do, is create an .ini file, create options, and let the user pick what hacks to use, then hook\modify the code on the fly as needed. (A GUI could easily be created to modify these options, but a .txt editor is sufficient.)

The format is similar to this..

[Combat Settings]
Disable_Combat_Multipliers=false

Anyways, PM me your finds, like your disable combat multipliers patch, etc,. I'll put them to good use, I can make it an option in the first release of my DLL, and, you'll be credited for anything you find. Very Happy

(I'm working on decoding functions, and classes using the RTTI data, and it's very slow work, so it would be great to have someone working this angle, finding more practical things, it would also help in the overall decoding process, by filling in some blanks, giving me a better idea what certain functions are doing, etc,.)

Neat.

I do have many little projects on my hands though, so I don't know how much time I'm willing to put into gaining an understanding of each of the code's functions, however I am willing to help you, else, I'll continue on with plans to create a framework with which others can more easily modify the exe and, more importantly, share those changes in an intuitive way.
Re: Hello World. [message #66478 is a reply to message #66477] Wed, 25 April 2012 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EternalNoob
Sounds good man, just share what you learn, I can make use of it too. Very Happy
Re: Hello World. [message #66479 is a reply to message #66233] Thu, 26 April 2012 18:18 Go to previous message
EternalNoob
You may want to keep an eye on this thread.

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=66458& amp; amp; amp; amp;#msg_66458

I've started adding things that you may be able to use as well. Smile

(Feel free to make a post there, documenting any finds you make, so they can benefit the whole community(ie, future tool makers, decoders, etc,.).)

[Updated on: Thu, 26 April 2012 18:51]

Previous Topic: Is it legal...?
Next Topic: WIKI Removable Mask link error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:26:43 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01101 seconds