Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error
Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66306] Sat, 14 April 2012 16:27 Go to next message
nathangibbs is currently offline  nathangibbs
So it's been a good long time since I've played fable. And ofc I want to put all the old mods on that I used to have.

I've got a new computer. It's XP, and has net framework 4.0.

First I tried downloading fable explorer. When I open it, I get the loading screen with the people on it, then an error.

System.NullReferenceException

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get this error when using shadow build aswell. I have the C++ thing that said should be installed if it doesn't work, and it has fixed nothing.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do about this error.

I have tried doing it with the xml I'm told to download, and without. Yes, I have the latest direct x, or atleast 9.0. I have every file that I am told I need to run this.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2012 16:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66307 is a reply to message #66306] Sat, 14 April 2012 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

What directory do you have Fable installed to? If it's not at the default install directory then in the config.xml file in your shadownet folder, change "useregistry" to FALSE, and input your current install directory for Fable for the first place you see, "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable:The Lost Chapters". Without the quotes obviously. If you're running a 64 bit OS it may be saved to the default directory, but that will be in Program Files(x86). In that case do the same thing.
On a side note, welcome back to the site. Wink

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2012 16:46]

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66309 is a reply to message #66306] Sat, 14 April 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, that fixed it. But now when I open it up, the left hand of the screen where all the files are meant to appear (I can't exactly remember what's meant to appear, it's been a while - but I know something is meant to appear Razz) is just blank. Just the two white boxes, one short - one long. It's not frozen or anything, it just doesn't show up.

I remember having this problem once before, can't remember how I fxied it. It could be something to do with my registry, as I didn't install the game (the disks got wrecked agggggges ago) I simply copyed the game to the computer from the server my computer is connected to, since I'd put it on there years ago, for the exact purpose of not needing to install. Of course, by getting games like that, there won't be any registry entry, so that could be the problem, but if it is, I haven't the slightest clue how to fix it. And thanks for the welcome back =)

There's something about fable that always brings be back...

EDIT:

Ok, so I looke at the config.xml, and based on an educated guess, I think I can confidently say it's because there's no registry entry.

<UseRegistry>FALSE</UseRegistry>
<RegistryPath>SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft Games\\Fable\\1.0</RegistryPath>
<InstallDirectory>E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters\</InstallDirectory>
<InternalSplash>FALSE</InternalSplash>
<SplashFileName>Shadow Net.jpg</SplashFileName>

That's what Ive got in the xml now, with the other stuff that's usually there. Since I've got the use registry set to false, I would think that not having the registry entry would matter...but if it does, my registry path would be invalid, since it doesn't exist. I know I can go go start->run->regedit and manually add a registry entry, but after getting into regedit I don't know what to do from there. I'm assuming of course, that my registry is the problem.

RE-EDIT:

Ok, so I cheked the registry path using regedit given in the config.xml, and it turns out I do have it after all...(I'm not sure how, I always thought not manually installing a game would mean there is no registry entry).

So I don't know what the problem is. Incase it means something, there is no value set.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2012 23:05]

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66312 is a reply to message #66309] Sun, 15 April 2012 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Since you just copied the game to your computer, the files won't show up. In other words, get a legit copy of Fable, then you can successfully mod.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66318 is a reply to message #66306] Sun, 15 April 2012 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about copying the game to another computer makes the files not show up? It's not a ripped game or anything, but there's no chance of a manual install because I don't have the disks. I'm pretty sure last time I had this problem I had copied fable too, and it worked in the end. I posted the problem here, but it's obviously been deleted now - I checked all my posts, which needless to say took little time.

But surely whatever is missing by copying the game rather than installing can be fixed one way or another? Otherwise, short of buying a new copy of the game, you're saying modding is absolutely impossible for me?
Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66319 is a reply to message #66318] Sun, 15 April 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Actually, forget I said that, it doesn't make sense unless the folder structure is messed up or the folder isn't where it should be, which is the case with a cracked install not a copied install.
Where do you have the folder saved to?

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66320 is a reply to message #66306] Sun, 15 April 2012 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters

I don't like putting things on my C drive, as it slows things down, but if moving it there would solve the problem...not sure it would though.

EDIT: I fixed it!

It turns out the install directory in the config was Program Files/Microsoft Games/Fable - The Lost Chapters.

Mine was actually Program Files/Fable - The Lost Chapters. So all I had to do was add Microsoft Games, and put fable inside it....and bam. It worked.

Thanks for solving the intial issue, without that I'd still be stuck.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 April 2012 19:36]

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66344 is a reply to message #66320] Mon, 16 April 2012 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No problem. Like I said, that problem only occurs when the folder is in the wrong area, or when the folders have an incorrect structure, such as your not having Microsoft Games in there.

Re: Fable Explorer/Shadow Net Error [message #66359 is a reply to message #66344] Mon, 16 April 2012 16:27 Go to previous message
Maybe it's already in one of the stickies, but maybe it should be put in one for common problems. Or maybe it's just me and it happened twice cause I'm stupid Razz

The incorrect directory that is.
Previous Topic: Blocking Problems
Next Topic: how do i create a region?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:46:00 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01514 seconds