Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » some advice would be greatly appreciated
some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66668] Wed, 09 May 2012 17:19 Go to next message
dragonsher0 is currently offline  dragonsher0
Long time viewer, first time poster.

I've ran through the search and subforums here for any info on a fix for the floating rain/snow glitch but to no avail. I can provide screen shots if needed. I've ruled out a disk issue, screen resolution, in game settings and gpu settings. turning effects down to nothing seems to remove rain completely, as well as turn water an opaque blue. I do have the game running in administer mode as well as compatibility mode (windows XP sp3.
I did have it fixed at one time in 2007 when I first owned the game, but the answer eludes me. If there is a way of removing the rain and snow particles or removing them from their eye level perch would be perfect. any help would be amazing. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my first post being a question.

My specs:
Windows 7 home 32bit
Evga nvidia 9500 gt (1GB)
3GB of ram
Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66669 is a reply to message #66668] Wed, 09 May 2012 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

The rain and snow effects' presence should be controlled by the REGION entries and the entries they link to in the game.bin if I'm correct. Poke around in there with Fable Explorer and you should be able to figure it out.
For a version of FE that allows searching (and for some reason for me is the only one that allows animation viewing), click here.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66670 is a reply to message #66668] Wed, 09 May 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there a full tutorial for it or will it just be the region name as the entry? and thanks for the quick reply. also would removing the snow and rain textures in textures.big work?

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2012 17:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66672 is a reply to message #66670] Wed, 09 May 2012 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The REGION entries are specifically under the tree labeled REGION, and should be labeled according to the areas they affect. I know there's tutorial stuff out there for poking around here, but I have no clue where. And removing texture entries wouldn't work for two reasons: One, you can't remove entries without manual editing via hex editor, and even then I think the game would just crash with even just one unused one missing. Two, although you CAN overwrite the initial texture with alpha, I don't believe that the rain and snow have textures, but are instead colored solely through the effects' hexadecimal code.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2012 18:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66674 is a reply to message #66668] Wed, 09 May 2012 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rain and snow don't have textures per-say. but they do have sprites that are located in textures.big, I found snow and rain in effects and textures but nothing in the region. rain is located in textures.big "RAIN_TRAIL01" and the snow sprite isn't far behind.
Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66676 is a reply to message #66674] Thu, 10 May 2012 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okay, then attempt to overwrite the sprites with pure alpha, and see what happens. Be sure to load the image as DXT-3 and have alpha set to 1 in the texture entry.

Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #66679 is a reply to message #66668] Thu, 10 May 2012 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright. thanks for the help.
Re: some advice would be greatly appreciated [message #68344 is a reply to message #66668] Tue, 21 May 2013 06:44 Go to previous message
m4ti140 is currently offline  m4ti140
I know it is necroposting, but I thought this could useful info to this topic and we are not the only ones with rain bug, so:

I've got exactly the same problem as OP, I've tried everything and snow and rain are still frozen mid-air. So I've followed the idea in this thread and tried replacing SPRITE_RAIN_TRAIL_01 with an empty, transparent bmp. However, after loading created package, nothing changed in game, so either I messed something up or is it's not the correct file.

Also I couldn't find the sprite for snow. I'm still looking, but have s1 ever tried to change these files? Maybe you got the file names? There must be a texture for that bc it's not an actual 3D object, if one looks closely in game, it's just 3 planes of flat texture.

BTW, my card is GT240, it runs Fable smoothly at highest settings, in HD resolution, and drivers are up to date, so it is the only way to fix this bug for me, just as in OP's case.
Previous Topic: ChocolateBox add mod problem
Next Topic: Fable lost chapters Guards mod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:54:33 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00970 seconds