Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Development » Tools » Model Injector (.x to .x)
Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #66993] Tue, 17 July 2012 07:36 Go to next message
DavidKron is currently offline  DavidKron

This tool currently only suports models containing one and ONLY one submesh

Background story
So. After spending several hours trying to figure out fableĀ“s interpretation of the .x format and why my modified .x files could not be imported back with the Fable Explorer. I decided to develop a tool that simply inserts the new vertexes, normals and so on in the original .x file from a modified one.

How to use the model injector to model edit

1. Extract the (lod) model using fable explorer.
  2. Import the .x file using DirectX import in the Softimage Mod Tool.
  3. Modify it to your liking.
  4. Export as a new .x file using DirectX export.
  5. Use the model injector to inject the new vertices etc.
  6. Load the injected model in Fable explorer and set materials in the material tab.
  7. Done !

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3415/modelinjector.jpg

Development
I will support meshes with more submeshes soon i promise. But theres still much you can do with the current version.

Example of what can be done:
Longer Horns

David

[Updated on: Tue, 17 July 2012 07:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67015 is a reply to message #66993] Thu, 19 July 2012 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

Cool beans!

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67018 is a reply to message #67015] Fri, 20 July 2012 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Okay, that's cool. Definitely a boon for those who don't understand how to add helpers.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67020 is a reply to message #67018] Fri, 20 July 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Or those like me whom never heard it before :S

David
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67021 is a reply to message #67020] Fri, 20 July 2012 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Helpers are essentially objects with no physical mesh, with specific data to help a system figure out the positioning of the objects they are applied to, and certain things related to said objects. For example, Fable and Fable TLC weapons have helpers for where and how the weapon is gripped, where effects spawn from, and in the case of adherent augmentation effects, end from, and can also enable one to spawn effects via the CParticleAttacherDef. This being said, helpers are necessary when dealing with weapon meshes, but your injector can easily bypass that by replacing geometry and leaving the helpers intact, if it's been written right. Surprised

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67025 is a reply to message #67021] Fri, 20 July 2012 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the clarification. Of course ! I wrote it! Very Happy

David
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67027 is a reply to message #67025] Fri, 20 July 2012 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zyreq is currently offline  Zyreq
I tried out this tool recently and i love it. The "Don't inject skinweights" saved me from having to skinweight my new armour. Again it works pefectly. And thanks for your tool Razz

No, no word of a lie, never' a lie, seventeen cows I stopped 'em with moi.. one 'and.
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67343 is a reply to message #66993] Mon, 24 September 2012 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
This is wonderful. Really, a huge thanks to you for your work. I wager I'll be using it a lot.
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67535 is a reply to message #66993] Tue, 06 November 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Fable explorer uses strict directx with no error handling.

The plugins for 3DS and Blender don't. They flub some of it because they have features that directx doesn't support, so there's some guesswork when exporting.

I've had to modify .x files manually before because of this. It's how I added dummies and helpers to the player skeleton for this:

The cig is part of the hat, and the effect is attached to a new dummy. DRAGON_MOUTH if I remember correctly.
http://fable.pe-ell.net/gallery/albums/album02/12_28_2006_7_25_58_AM.sized.jpg
http://fable.pe-ell.net/gallery/albums/album02/12_29_2006_6_17_30_AM.sized.jpg

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 November 2012 09:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67539 is a reply to message #67535] Tue, 06 November 2012 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
That's quite interesting, Keshire. What you've done in those screenshots is along the lines of what I'd like to accomplish myself. Do you have a link to that mod so I can examine/ripoff your work? Razz
Re: Model Injector (.x to .x) [message #67591 is a reply to message #67539] Tue, 13 November 2012 13:01 Go to previous message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Lenop wrote on Tue, 06 November 2012 21:57

That's quite interesting, Keshire. What you've done in those screenshots is along the lines of what I'd like to accomplish myself. Do you have a link to that mod so I can examine/ripoff your work? Razz

I don't think I ever released it since I needed to permanently change the facial expression, to the snear, to make it look right.

But like I said, you can attach new dummies/helpers to the player skeleton on a per object basis. Or change existing ones (like moving the sheathe stuff).

You just have to make sure the dummy or helper exists in-game in some form. I used DRAGON_MOUTH for that instance. I'm not sure what happens when the actual dragon spawns though (Knowing Fable it could be anything).

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Previous Topic: ChocolateBox for Mac
Next Topic: Fable Explorer source code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:15:15 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01152 seconds