Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Mr. Gout and Pupils
Mr. Gout and Pupils [message #67371] Wed, 03 October 2012 11:57 Go to next message
primavista is currently offline  primavista
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Basically, I was wondering if there was any way of editing how the appearance of the teacher and children at the Bowerstone South school are decided. I realise that the game makes up the appearances at random - I'm guessing - from a selection of parts upon your first time entering Bowerstone, but I wanted to know if their was any way of forcing the game to pick certain textures/models (or however exactly it works) rather than just whatever it feels like.

It's nothing too important really, though I guess it could come in handy when I get more into texture and model editing (seeing how this "random" stuff occurs), but for now it's really for my own satisfaction. Obviously, if the game spawns some of the right parts I can just swap the texture files around a little, but it'd be great if I didn't have to save-reload just to make sure I don't get a creepy Mr. Gout and a class consisting of Billy and five identical girls. Rolling Eyes

Any help would be much appreciated.

"A humorous anecdote that makes you crease every time you read it."

"Great quote that is both philosophical and quality banter." - Some legendary person
Re: Mr. Gout and Pupils [message #67392 is a reply to message #67371] Mon, 08 October 2012 22:55 Go to previous message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
Good question and something I was looking into myself not so long ago. You'll notice that in the CREATURE entries for villagers or children, the graphic is just an scantily clothed man/woman/child but that's just a placeholder, I think. The actual appearance handling is done in the CCreatureDef.

It has to do with those killer arrays, it determines which models are available to use for the head, torso and legs, and which textures to use for each model. How it determines which set of models and textures to use is done with a seed. I assume this seed is generated for you for those automagically generated NPCs. If you are manually adding the NPCs in the scripts, you'll need this:

StartCTCRandomAppearanceMorph;
Seed 0;
EndCTCRandomAppearanceMorph;

If there are 112 different combinations, you can achieve each possible one with a seed from 1-112, but there's no harm in going over, it just cycles over.

As for gender balance, I'm not sure how it determines how many of each to throw in the game yet. Some NPCs aren't defined in the level scripts, and yet they are there so I'm sure there's something in the game.bin that generates them somehow.

Edit: To answer the question... >.>
If the NPCs are in the scripts, change the seeds. If not, fiddle with the CCreatureDefs. Either one will require you to start a new game to see the effects, unfortunately. However, I think it might be possible, maybe, to "purge" the saved data like CCreatureDefs by simply killing the villagers and waiting for them to respawn. I haven't tested this thoroughly yet, so try it with caution.

Forgive me for rambling. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 October 2012 22:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: eyes question
Next Topic: Import Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:01:32 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00985 seconds