Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem?
FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68961] Wed, 03 July 2013 16:46 Go to next message
Final-Z is currently offline  Final-Z
Hello !

I installed Fable: TLC on linux through Wine some days ago, and now I want to mod this fabulous game again, but there's a little problem I can't solve on my own.

Whenever I try to execute the FE, there's an error message stating this: unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.

So, I assume that it's a Microsoft .Net problem...

Even if the wine comunity says that .Net installs without problem, I can't install it correctly on my computer. When I try, it just says: ''Setup failed'' then, nothing.

I searched the internet for days, and nothing seems to work for me, So I am asking here, who knows? Maybe i'll be lucky :/

so here's the technical information:

-Ubuntu 13.04, Raring 32bits
-Wine version 1.4.1

- I ran the "net verification tool, and it seems that all versions of .Net are installed correctly, except the 2.0

I know this problem does not directly concerns this community, since it is not a problem with FE, but if anyone can help me, it would be appreciated.

And at last, if there is no solution to my problem, is there any modding potential without fable explorer?
Re: FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68966 is a reply to message #68961] Thu, 04 July 2013 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'll be able to solve this by myself after all. I found another program called mono which is able to execute some .net applications.

The following is there in case there's another linux user out there, maybe this will spare some people a painful headache. ^^

I can't execute FE for now, there an error output stating that FE was not designed for linux. So far, no surprises.

But, The FreeRoam App works fine! There's some problems with it tough, but it can still be used. the two problems I encountered so far (and they are most likely the only ones) are:

1- the Final Albion file won't appear in the search menu, but is still present and can be opened.

2- No matter where you choose to extract the files, it will extract in the directory where the FreeRoam app is stored. upon extraction, a message will just say: I'll extract here then! Plus, all those files are renamed /levels/finalalbion/(levelname). which forces one to rename all those files one by one. (takes a looong time)

Now, back to FE. The fact that the FreeRoam.app works with mono gives me hope that it can work too. Now I need to find my own answers.

There's two problems with those this particular file: FableContentManager.dll

here's the full error output:

Method '<Module>:<CrtImplementationDetails>.DoDllLanguageSupportValidation ()' in assembly '/home/thomas/.wine/drive_c/FableTLCmodscene/FableContentMan agement.dll' contains native code that cannot be executed by Mono on this platform. The assembly was probably created using C++/CLI.

Method '<Module>:<CrtImplementationDetails>.ThrowModuleLoadException (string,System.Exception)' in assembly '/home/thomas/.wine/drive_c/FableTLCmodscene/FableContentMan agement.dll' contains native code that cannot be executed by Mono on this platform. The assembly was probably created using C++/CLI.

I am pretty sure there's a workaround. Maybe AlbionExplorer will work, I have not tested it yet. But since the project has been abandonned, Maybe it is best to priorize FE?
(just saying, I don't know if there is developpement for FE right now either)

I guess that's all for now, maybe i'll be lucky and things will work in the future ^^

EDIT: I tested Albion explorer, always on linux using wine and mono. Sent an error message: kernel32.

Aaaand nothing more. So I guess it is better to try on with FE, since at least it offers a suitable error message...

After some research, I found that there's a version of Wine that includes a built-in version of mono with windows. It will take some file managing on my computer, but it is still the path most likely to lead to success!

[Updated on: Thu, 04 July 2013 15:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68967 is a reply to message #68961] Thu, 04 July 2013 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-Thread can be locked or suppressed, I found a simple way to get FE up and running on Linux!
Re: FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68968 is a reply to message #68967] Thu, 04 July 2013 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Post it and let people know how. From the lack of response no one else knew how to help you with that.

Re: FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68969 is a reply to message #68961] Thu, 04 July 2013 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I planned on making a tutorial out of it, but since my account is not allowed to create threads in the Tutorials sections...

I just realized it after posting that hmm.. rather rude reply -><-

Explaining it all here would be harder to find, and a bit of a mess :/ Plus I fear it is quite long. If all steps are followed correctly, it should be super easy. By linux standards at least... *sigh*

I already sent a private message to morerunes regarding this matter, since I saw that he had the permission to create tutorials...

Here was my idea: Since I do not have the permissions required, and do not really want them, I could create the tutorial myself, send it as a text file (notepad) to another user who could post it! ^^

Re: FE on ubuntu - .net Framework problem? [message #68970 is a reply to message #68969] Thu, 04 July 2013 23:17 Go to previous message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Make the tutorial using your ID, then we can move it the tut section.

Previous Topic: Guys. Guys! GUYS! FABLE 1 HD
Next Topic: Little Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:51:34 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01401 seconds