Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Development » Tools » WIP Updating the def.xml
Re: WIP Updating the def.xml [message #70173 is a reply to message #70171] Fri, 28 March 2014 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
Keshire wrote on Fri, 28 March 2014 15:06

This Def type in particular is a very good example of the crazyness that is the bin databases. All the INVENTORY_TYPE's share all the properties even if they don't use them.

The whole thing is bonkers. I'm not in game design, and I often get tossed slack for criticizing people who are due to my lack of background in design, but I can't imagine any scenario where it would have been more difficult to create things like weapon entries, armor entries, misc item entries, all apart from each other without having to rely on the CDefs to get the game to tell one apart from the other. I want to meet the guy who thought that was better and/or easier.

asmcint wrote on Fri, 28 March 2014 15:08

But its absence begs the question as to how they went about dealing with heightmaps and various other level information.

Well, the heightmap, the thing the Hero walks on, isn't in the stb at all. The stb is just the stuff you see. What defines a piece of the map as walkable, the height at which the player stands on it, whether or not it's water, if the camera can go through it, all that's in the wad. Totally different lev format at play, not quite as bananas but still pretty ape.

As Keshire said, in the absence of the stb, all (pfft, "all") they'd have to do is define the terrain and flora and water somewhere else, tng scripts perhaps. Just the stuff you see. Not really a small task, but perhaps it was done in such a way that we will be able to edit it. In which case, it is a very good thing.

Not sure the map tngs would be a good way to do it though, as map editing would then become way more tedious. But, I don't know. We'll find out eventually. Hopefully we stand to gain and benefit from the changes.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ATTENTION - Rules on posting.
Next Topic: AlbionExplorer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:42:18 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01094 seconds