Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Development » Tools » Fable Window Mode Hook
Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 06:12 Go to previous message
Wiccaan is currently offline  Wiccaan

Hey all, a friend of mine has just recently got me playing Fable as something to do and hack. Been working on a tool that I have yet to be seen done surprisingly after noticing how much of an active community this game has with modding and such.

I have attempted the basics when it comes to getting the game to run in a window at first to be sure my time wouldn't be wasted working on this project Mad The basics would include:

- Hitting ALT+Enter when in game.
- Using command line arguments (-win -window -w -console -dev etc.)
- Altering configuration files.
- Altering save game files.

And so on. None of which seemed to work for this game so yea.. I created this project.

Currently this is just a work-in-progress thing to become something a little bigger if I have the time to keep putting work into it. But yea, basically all it does right now is allows you to play Fable in a window.

As of this post, I have it setup to allow you to configure:
- Window size at launch.
- Window location at launch.
- Enable or disable window border. (Better to have it on.)
- Use hardware mouse. (I suggest not using this.)

A screenshot of proof:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4706/fablexu4.th.png

I figured I'd share it here as this seems to be the most active community for Fable according to Google Smile Currently, I don't have a public release ready but should be done within the day or so. I want to make sure all the bugs are out and make sure its fully working for public release.

Known bugs / issues as of now:
- Mouse is locked to window. This is due to the fact the mouse is used in game. Removing the mouse from being hooked causes issues and the mouse does not properly align with the in-game mouse. It's better to leave this the way it is.
- The mouse is not always free'd correctly when you alt+tab away from the game. Simply clicking anywhere on the screen brings it back though.
- You cannot move the window or minimize/maximize it (easily) due to the mouse being rehooked as soon as the window regains focus. When the window has focus you also cannot grab the window and move it because it cannot leave the inner rect.

Some things to note:
- You can safely readjust your resolution while in game. It will not effect the overall window size, but instead, it will adjust the in-game GUI only to fit the current window resolution.
- The loader loads the settings.ini file when its launched, and saves it when you click Launch before launching the game. So you can easily edit the settings before running the game.

Any issues just contact me, I will check this thread every now and then. Requests are fine too, although I can't guarantee anything. (At this time, this is remaining closed source. I plan to add more to it for other things. Might release the source later on though.)

Enjoy!
- Wiccaan

edit: *Sticky* - BlueTooth
  • Attachment: FableHook.rar
    (Size: 156.93KB, Downloaded 14187 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2007 14:20] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: XBOX360 Controls! FINAL 12/16 Get it while it's hot!
Next Topic: Merging fmp's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:57:13 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01079 seconds