Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Need help modding Armor Ratings and Damage Reduction...
icon5.gif  Need help modding Armor Ratings and Damage Reduction... [message #52373] Mon, 29 June 2009 15:34 Go to previous message
Drake1132
Hi Everyone,

So I'm trying to mod my Fable TLC so that I can have Archon armor stats on non-Archon armor items so that I can choose the look that I want. I'm also doing some texture recolor work for basically the same purpose. But I'm running into some trouble, due to confusion, with respect to adjusting Armor Ratings and I also would like to better understand the damage calculation formula that the game uses.

Now I've read through the following...

http://forums.projectego.net/guide-changing-armor-rating-350 4/page2/
http://fabletlcmod.com/wiki/doku.php?id=def_editing:amour_ty pes
http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=27378& amp;&srch=armor+rating

Thanks to the information from those sources I can find what to modify, but I'm confused about the values that I should be aiming for... The first link talks about modifying Armor Rating, but it gives the formula of <value>*384.5=AR where <value> is what you would enter in the ArmourPercentage section of the CAppearanceModifierDef. This gives us <desiredAR>/384.5=<value>, so using that formula you could take a desired AR value, such as 1000 and determine the ArmourPercentage value that would need to be entered into the CAppearanceModifierDef. But the problem is that that formula doesn't work. For example, for Villager armors (BOWERSTONE) the formula is actually <desiredAR>/500=<value> and for Chainmail armors the formula is <desiredAR>/833.3=<value>.

So I can theoretically figure out what the individual formulas should be for each armor set type by setting ArmorPercentage to 100 for one or more armor items from any given set, then use those formulas to get the desired AR that I actually want, but I don't want to do that sort of thing if I don't have to. Additionally, I'm not totally understanding if the CAppearanceModifierDef will actually change the armor rating used for damage calculations or if it is only cosmetic.

With those things in mind then, here is my question...

What is the damage calculation formula? Please use actual Fable Explorer def values and constants.

What I mean is that if the damage reduction aspect of the calculation is (DamageTypeResponse * ArmourPercentage), and let's say that I have an item with a DamageTypeResponse of 0.33 and an ArmorPercentage of 0.5, how would that apply to actual damage reduction? Does it create a percent modifier that the base damage is multiplied against, such as 0.165 so that actual damage taken is reduced to 16.5% (damage * 0.165) of the original, or does it create a reduction modifier so that damage is reduced by 16.5% (damage * (1 - 0.165)), or is it handled some other way?

If someone could please provide those sorts of specifics for me then I could plan out desired values based on desired damage reductions rather than trying to duplicate everything from the Archon armor set.

With respect to the listed damage calculation from the wiki, what does it mean when it says (Divided by 500) after the DamageTypeResponse value? How does that come into play in the full calculation for damage taken where damageTaken = baseDamage - damageReduction ? Does that mean that the equation is ((DamageTypeResponse / 500) * ArmourPercentage), or does it mean that the calculation is simply (DamageTypeReponse * ArmourPercentage) and the (Divided by 500) is a commentary on the DamageTypeResponse value?

I realize that I'm asking about something that has more or less been covered, but because of my confusion I need explicit clarification... a simple, straightforward equation without commentary in the equation, but with explanations and commentary following the equation is what I'm looking for... and please use symbols for mathematical operators instead of words ("*" instead of "times" or "multiplied by", "/" instead of "divided by", "+" instead of "plus", etc.). Also, I would like to see operation priority ordering explicitly indicated with parenthises, because something like X + Y * 10 can be interpreted as ((X + Y) * 10) or (X + (Y * 10)), and while the rules of math stipulate a normal/standard order, it's easier for me to understand if it is explicit, especially since I don't remember the standard order from math class (I think it's Parenthises, Exponents, Roots, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and lastly Subtraction, but I don't recall for sure).

Thnks in advance,
Drake

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Playing w/ Spells
Next Topic: How to Spawn Using Only FE
Goto Forum: