Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Is it legal...?
Re: Is it legal...? [message #66471 is a reply to message #64903] Wed, 25 April 2012 06:09 Go to previous message
EternalNoob
Just wanted to add.

In most cases the company itself grants you special rights in their EULA.

The EULA is a legally binding agreement between you, and them, and most of them grant you the right to a backup, so, regardless of the law, it's really up to the company to pursue these cases. (And, considering they granted you the right to a backup, it wouldn't make sense for them to do so, as they would be violating their own agreement, making themselves liable.)

Keep in mind, not every EULA may grant you this right.

As for downloading a copy, every copy should be identical, you licensed the software, which is contained on said copy, so, I don't see the problem, the lawyers on the other hand, see things in whatever way benefits them.

In that case, I would cite digital distribution, should shut them up pretty quickly, they would be condemning an entire industry, the one paying them. Wink

(This may be shaky ground, but, the premise is the same, you license software, their server acts as a backup, and you can download new copies as needed. I'd use this defense, if it came down to it, better than going to jail without a fight.)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2012 06:30]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message